Winter Gardens/ Greenhouse!

Pics
Got some flowers transplanted outside today!
IMG_3523.jpeg
and some squash and ground cherries into the raised garden. Also threw some flowers in there.
IMG_3521.jpeg
I have some zinnia seeds I still need to figure out where to plant, too.

Everything seems so small and fragile at this stage, it’s hard to imagine things getting big.

Got some flowers transplanted outside today!View attachment 3829153and some squash and ground cherries into the raised garden. Also threw some flowers in there.View attachment 3829154I have some zinnia seeds I still need to figure out where to plant, too.

Everything seems so small and fragile at this stage, it’s hard to imagine things getting big.
Looking amazing !

Hope they all are doing well. Is it still very cold where you live?
We are warm enough now to start hardening plants off. The problem is our last frost date is still a week or so out. Last year we had a freeze on May 26th, so I'm a bit skittish.
Are lufas hard to grow?
Last year was the first year I got an actual luffa. I lost 3/4 plants in the May 26th freeze, which probably had a lot to do with it.
They don't like their roots disturbed, so plant them where you intend them to grow.
I have to start mine in pots inside. I know they don't like their roots disturbed, so I try to be as gentle as I can when it's time to plant them. If I started them outside "when the soil is warm and there's not chance of frost," I'd never get any.
90-120 days to grow/ give fruit.
For me, it was definitely the long side of that.

I've found luffas to be temperamental divas. I got one "sponge" out of the deal last year. If I get 4-8 this year, I'll have enough to give as Christmas presents. That was my goal: Give something useful that I grew that isn't the same as the last 10 years. :gig

Cecilia one of my buff Orpingtons!
She’s a sweet looking little girl :love

We are warm enough now to start hardening plants off. The problem is our last frost date is still a week or so out. Last year we had a freeze on May 26th, so I'm a bit skittish.

Last year was the first year I got an actual luffa. I lost 3/4 plants in the May 26th freeze, which probably had a lot to do with it.

I have to start mine in pots inside. I know they don't like their roots disturbed, so I try to be as gentle as I can when it's time to plant them. If I started them outside "when the soil is warm and there's not chance of frost," I'd never get any.

For me, it was definitely the long side of that.

I've found luffas to be temperamental divas. I got one "sponge" out of the deal last year. If I get 4-8 this year, I'll have enough to give as Christmas presents. That was my goal: Give something useful that I grew that isn't the same as the last 10 years. :gig
I hope they do grow well, I would love to see the progress throughout the season.

Back
Top Bottom