Wrinkled eggs

samikirn11

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2023
MONTANA
Hi! I have a hen about 1 year old and she's been consistently laying wrinkled eggs. She's on a layer feed with 18% protein and offered oysters shells. I ended up getting out a soft shell egg that broke inside her she seemed good after that but is now acting weird again. Anyone have any tips or ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Hi! I have a hen about 1 year old and she's been consistently laying wrinkled eggs. She's on a layer feed with 18% protein and offered oysters shells. I ended up getting out a soft shell egg that broke inside her she seemed good after that but is now acting weird again. Anyone have any tips or ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Attachments

• 20240823_081545.jpg
    20240823_081545.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi! Here is a screenshot from an egg guide here on BYC.
Also! Here is the link to the guide itself if you're interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Attachments

• IMG_0275.png
    IMG_0275.png
    523 KB · Views: 7
How has her behavior been? Her poop? Is she seemingly normal or is anything else off?

How has her behavior been? Her poop? Is she seemingly normal or is anything else off?
Shes acting off. Standing in one spot seems uncomfortable and poop is watery. She was fine after i got the soft shell out for a few days now back to acting off. I'm having alot of soft shell eggs too! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!

Shes acting off. Standing in one spot seems uncomfortable and poop is watery. She was fine after i got the soft shell out for a few days now back to acting off. I'm having alot of soft shell eggs too! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!
They are also molting heavy. It's been a hot summer here in the 90s

Hmm that does sound like something is wrong. I don't think you're doing anything wrong though! Chickens can be vulnerable to all sorts of things. Someone recommended to me when my hen was having trouble to offer her D3 if it's a persistent issue, and give her calcium citrate. Do you know if she eats the oyster shells? And also, what color is the poop? Color says a lot more about health than consistency, in my experience. Watery poop can be caused by pretty harmless things like drinking a lot of water or eating fruit. But the color says what's going on inside.

Hmm that does sound like something is wrong. I don't think you're doing anything wrong though! Chickens can be vulnerable to all sorts of things. Someone recommended to me when my hen was having trouble to offer her D3 if it's a persistent issue, and give her calcium citrate. Do you know if she eats the oyster shells? And also, what color is the poop? Color says a lot more about health than consistency, in my experience. Watery poop can be caused by pretty harmless things like drinking a lot of water or eating fruit. But the color says what's going on inside.
Ok great thanks for those tips ill go get some of that stuff tomorrow. Um the color is just a light to medium brown. The watery part seems kind of like a cream color

Not too sure if she eats the oyster shells I kind of think she doesn't

Not too sure if she eats the oyster shells I kind of think she doesn't
Okay, I know when my hen has that kind of poop, she's eggbound and her egg is either softshell or broken. It's possible she is calcium deficient if she isn't eating the shells. I would try the supplement method and see if she improves, and give it a couple days. If she keeps getting worse, consider deworming her. If she develops breathing problems or other viral-like symptoms, go in another direction.

Back
Top Bottom