buffy-the-eggpile-layer

Crowing
5 Years
May 29, 2019
We recently moved to a new house and came to realize that a rather large, beautiful tree in the yard is actually supposed to be super toxic basically to all species (with a few exceptions). When one of my chickens started going for the red berries, I stopped her, looked it up, and was horrified.

My chickens are in an enclosed run far from the tree (and we will be careful that any bedding we add isn't from the area od the yew tree). But they do free range, supervised, and one of the corners of the fenced in yard houses that yew tree, which is bursting with berries. So far I've been chasing them from the area when they get close. It's a lovely spot for them to dig around in, and I feel bad keeping it off limits.l if not necessary.

So, has anyone had experiences with chickens eating the berries of a yew tree? I understand the red flesh is tasty and not toxic, but the seed is. Some sources say chickens and other birds pass the seeds intact without issue (I see squirrels and birds munching on the berries all day). Others say it is deadly to chickens. I'm considering cutting down the tree, but hesitant. Its super mature, probably as old as the house (50+ years), and has created an amazing, dense shade for our patio and west side of the house. But, of course, I love my chickens more than the tree.

Just curious if anyone had had experiences or has ideas, because all the info out there is mixed. Between all the dropping walnuts and the yew tree, I feel I've moved my girls into a hazardous environment!

They'll be fine, and if you're concerned, you can throw up a short fence.
I would like to let them explore the area, and I'm tempted to let them, but I KNOW they'll be all about those berries. Supposedly they're tasty and many animals love them. Just worried about the seeds, which are supposedly drop dead toxic but very hard (so pass through intact). Have you had experiences with chickens eating yew berries?

Good idea about the small fence--thank you! I'll consider that as well.

I would like to let them explore the area, and I'm tempted to let them, but I KNOW they'll be all about those berries. Supposedly they're tasty and many animals love them. Just worried about the seeds, which are supposedly drop dead toxic but very hard (so pass through intact). Have you had experiences with chickens eating yew berries?

Good idea about the small fence--thank you! I'll consider that as well.
Most birds can handle plant based toxins. My grandparents had yew bushes all over their property, they never had problems with any animals getting sick or dieing.

There's toxic stuff all over the place (we have walnuts too). We've never lost a chicken to a falling walnut, and although we have scads of lilies on our property (toxic to chickens), we've never had a chicken get sick from those either. I don't worry about them. I figure if chickens were stupid enough to eat toxic plants, they'd be extinct by now. Relax. Nature knows what she's doing.

There's toxic stuff all over the place (we have walnuts too). We've never lost a chicken to a falling walnut, and although we have scads of lilies on our property (toxic to chickens), we've never had a chicken get sick from those either. I don't worry about them. I figure if chickens were stupid enough to eat toxic plants, they'd be extinct by now. Relax. Nature knows what she's doing.
Thanks for the reassurance. The internet makes it sound like they'll drop dead, so I got a bit spooked. There are a handful of personal accounts that say they eat the berries and pass seeds just fine... only wish the internet could agree (but then, it wouldn't be the internet anymore lol).

I agree with your points. Mine were constantly munching on black locust tree seeds/leaves and should have been dead a million times over. I used to obsessively clear the yard, but in the end, I realized I didn't have to.

I have plenty of toxic plants on my property but I have come to trust the birds will eat what is safe for them. At least what is natural. Styrofoam, plastic (zip ties especially), and other crap I would not be so trusting of them with
Ugh, yes, styrofoam! Does not seem to hurt them, though. Just learned to keep it away from them. Things they eat that will hurt them are screws, nails, metal washers, long cotton strings, etc. Not-natural things, in other words.

Back
Top Bottom