55 gallon barrel - strawberry planter?

drewskimac

Songster
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Siloam Springs, AR
My neighbor gave me this 55gallon barrel which he drilled 1-inch holes in. Could this be used as a strawberry planter? Are the holes large enough to do so? Do any of you have experience with this? I’m planning on running a pvc pipe up through the middle of it with holes drilled in it for watering as well as placing organic material for compost.

Attachments

• 873D77AC-5E31-47C7-9081-212CD284CAD7.jpeg
    873D77AC-5E31-47C7-9081-212CD284CAD7.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 74
Not familiar with making a vertical strawberry planter, but I think it's a good start towards making one. I would think that the holes would have to be a couple inches in diameter in order to get a plant through the hole. The pipe in the center with holes is a great idea. You will have to start at the bottom when you start planting & add soil as you go up the side of the barrel. I would love to see a picture of the completed barrel & be updated on how well the strawberries grow in it.

Not familiar with making a vertical strawberry planter, but I think it's a good start towards making one. I would think that the holes would have to be a couple inches in diameter in order to get a plant through the hole. The pipe in the center with holes is a great idea. You will have to start at the bottom when you start planting & add soil as you go up the side of the barrel. I would love to see a picture of the completed barrel & be updated on how well the strawberries grow in it.
Thanks! I believe you’re right, I think I’m going to make the holes bigger. My plan is to use the runners from my plants this year to fill it. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Thanks! I believe you’re right, I think I’m going to make the holes bigger. My plan is to use the runners from my plants this year to fill it. Does that sound like a good idea to you?
I think it sounds like a great idea. I have a drum somewhere around here that I wanted hubs to make into a strawberry planter last year. Maybe I can get him to make it this year.

I agree with making the holes about a couple inches in diameter. I have planted jalepenos in a vertical planter and they did fantastic but have not tried strawberries yet.

I was not getting any of the strawberries that were growing on my plants either until I put straw around the plants. Straw keeps the bugs from getting the fruit, puts nutrients into the soil, helps conserve water and smothers weeds so they cant grow.

If you have issues with ants in the garden sprinkle some food grade diatamaceos earth on the ants. Make sure it is FOOD GRADE and be careful not to breath in the fine powder because it is hard on the lungs. I never use chemical of any kind in my garden.

I hope your vertical strawberry planter works out for you!

I agree with making the holes about a couple inches in diameter. I have planted jalepenos in a vertical planter and they did fantastic but have not tried strawberries yet.

I was not getting any of the strawberries that were growing on my plants either until I put straw around the plants. Straw keeps the bugs from getting the fruit, puts nutrients into the soil, helps conserve water and smothers weeds so they cant grow.

If you have issues with ants in the garden sprinkle some food grade diatamaceos earth on the ants. Make sure it is FOOD GRADE and be careful not to breath in the fine powder because it is hard on the lungs. I never use chemical of any kind in my garden.

I hope your vertical strawberry planter works out for you!
I was just thinking about getting straw for my strawberry patch. Glad to hear it helps. Will have hubs get a bale :)

Hi staceyj, have you tried growing strawberries this way before? I would love to get my strawberry plants up off the ground due to so many ants. Never got a single berry last summer.
I grow lots of things but I don’t grow strawberries because I live in NC and there are plenty of places here to “u-pick”.

I do however, grow potatoes in tall laundry baskets and would love to try it in a big drum such as the op has!

I grow lots of things but I don’t grow strawberries because I live in NC and there are plenty of places here to “u-pick”.
Thank you staceyj, we too have abundant strawberry resources around us, but I have the plants as well because my grandsons just love to be able to pick their own berries. Would love to try growing them up off the ground due to ant problems. I'm going to try putting straw around mine this year as @sandstorm suggested.
I don’t know if strawberries would be best suited for that but you could grow a heck of a potato crop in there!
Super easy too.
I do however, grow potatoes in tall laundry baskets and would love to try it in a big drum such as the op has!
Would love to know how you grow potatoes vertically, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom