6 week old welsummers gender help

MN Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Minnesota
Hello! Both of these chicks are from my pet chicken, and had the defined V on their heads and dark defined eyeliner...but at 6 weeks old they are both getting pretty prominent combs, one more than the other, and are already getting red. Can anyone confirm that these are both cockerels? Chick 1 we thought was a pullet for sure until her comb went red 3 days ago. We've never had this breed, and have never had a pullet with a reddening comb by 4.5 weeks either, so I'd love some insight from you all.
Chick 1

Chick 2

Last edited:
They sure look like pullets to me. Welsummers are tricky to sex by color as chicks, but pretty easy at this age if you look at their breast feather colors. Look up pics of adult Welsummers and focus on the color and pattern of the breasts, then look at your chicks.

They sure look like pullets to me. Welsummers are tricky to sex by color as chicks, but pretty easy at this age if you look at their breast feather colors. Look up pics of adult Welsummers and focus on the color and pattern of the breasts, then look at your chicks.

Thank you! This breed is so new to me and tricky!

Back
Top Bottom