A little worried about the coming wind chills

Thanks for the replies. Mine did well all night. I went out to wake them up (-18 degrees outside, 28 degrees in the coop) and they seemed tired and unwilling to go down for food/water. Since the Temps are going to go back up at noon, I brought them into my garage for a few hours to eat, drink, and rest/exercise. From what I can tell, no frost bite issues- maybe a very mild discoloration to my BO's comb but not much. I thought my RSL would have the hardest time because she is old and skinny but she seems in good spirits and no worse for the wear.

I did a few things that I feel may have helped them. The wireless temp. Guage put my mind at ease. The extra pine shavings and radiant heater brought the warmth up a bit, and I gave the hens mealworms before bed and checked for full crops. I learned a lot of these tips from this forum so thank you.

Thanks for the replies. Mine did well all night. I went out to wake them up (-18 degrees outside, 28 degrees in the coop) and they seemed tired and unwilling to go down for food/water. Since the Temps are going to go back up at noon, I brought them into my garage for a few hours to eat, drink, and rest/exercise. From what I can tell, no frost bite issues- maybe a very mild discoloration to my BO's comb but not much. I thought my RSL would have the hardest time because she is old and skinny but she seems in good spirits and no worse for the wear.

I did a few things that I feel may have helped them. The wireless temp. Guage put my mind at ease. The extra pine shavings and radiant heater brought the warmth up a bit, and I gave the hens mealworms before bed and checked for full crops. I learned a lot of these tips from this forum so thank you.
Wow it stayed at 28! That’s amazing… my coop I feel might be too big for the amount of chickens I have. And maybe that’s why it got so cold…It’s partially insulated but it’s a walk-in coop about 6x10. I have 6 hens… we are going to work on fully insulating it this spring. My automatic door didn’t work last night either so I went out and blocked the door hole with some cardboard. What kind of heater do you have? Maybe I should get two for nights like this…

Wow it stayed at 28! That’s amazing… my coop I feel might be too big for the amount of chickens I have. And maybe that’s why it got so cold…It’s partially insulated but it’s a walk-in coop about 6x10. I have 6 hens… we are going to work on fully insulating it this spring. My automatic door didn’t work last night either so I went out and blocked the door hole with some cardboard. What kind of heater do you have? Maybe I should get two for nights like this…
Glad yours did okay despite the cold though! We got the radiant heaters at Tractor Supply for 40 bucks. They look like flat screen TVs. Worth the money because hens liked them and they were easy to install. I bet if your door had worked it would have been warmer but those things happen! Hope the Temps. Go up for you soon! Ours go up around noon today.

Back
Top Bottom