Amazing Mama Guinea Story

I too have a wonderful guinea mama story to tell, but I'll save it. The point is, steriotyping guineas as "bad mama/parents" is false. They make spectacular parents and are even more protective of their babies than chickens.
I hope your right, that bums me out tothink it could be true. All other animals in nature are usually preprogrammed to take care of their young and to instinctively know what is best for it. It would be strange to think that this hardy bird that can survive the odds in Africa could be any different..

What a wonderful story :)
I have a mama guinea fowl too. She's called Guinness and is a "lookout" for her mixed flock of bantams and light breeds. She takes her job very seriously :) she has always been pretty flighty but a week or so ago at sunrise she came and sat on my knee after six months of looking after her. Best moment ever !
I would love to get a daddy and raise keets, it's definitely on my "to do" list :)

What a wonderful story
smile.png

I have a mama guinea fowl too. She's called Guinness and is a "lookout" for her mixed flock of bantams and light breeds. She takes her job very seriously
smile.png
she has always been pretty flighty but a week or so ago at sunrise she came and sat on my knee after six months of looking after her. Best moment ever !
I would love to get a daddy and raise keets, it's definitely on my "to do" list
smile.png
thats awesome...and sorta rare. at least for an adult. Gru and his lady freaked when I tried to pen them.In hindsite I know why now, they already had a nest under my junipers. I am glad i didnt insist they stay penned.

I raised Guinness from a baby and she is in a large pen with big coop. I'm in the pen a lot and that's why I think she has become more social plus I think she assumes she's a hen too lol. I would love to let them roam but I am afraid they would be picked off by preditors here. Their pen is pretty big tho and they seem settled :)

Back
Top Bottom