Ameraucana winter hardy laying

Dustinnvnorth

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Reno NV
Are true Ameraucana considered winter hardy just because of their small wattle, comb, and types of feathers? Are they a good winter laying breed for high elevation and cold winters? Temps in the singles and teens.

Here's some good information for you

Ameraucana
The Ameraucana breed was derived from blue egg laying chickens, but they do not have the breeding problems inherent to Araucanas. In addition, rather than ear tufts, they have muffs and a beard, and are very hardy and sweet. They lay eggs in shades of blue, and even have blue (or "slate") legs. Less rare than Araucanas, they are still quite rare and only available through breeders at this time. They should not be confused with Easter Eggers, which can lay blue and green eggs, and do not conform to any breed standard. However, many hatcheries continue to call their Easter Eggers "Americanas" (and other various misspellings). If you are interested in showing your birds, make sure that you have true Ameraucana or Araucana.

Blue Ameraucana Hen

Class: All Other Breeds
Type: Large Fowl & Bantam
Size: Medium (6-7 lbs)
Rarity: Rare
Purpose: Egg-laying
Recognized Varieties: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, White

Egg Laying: Good (3/wk)
Egg Color: Blue
Egg Size: Medium

Comb Type: Pea Comb
Crested: No
Feathered Legs: No
Number of Toes: 4

Hardy In Winter: Yes
Bears Confinement: Bears confinement well
Especially Docile: Yes
Setter/Broody: No
Personality: Fun

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Ameraucana, they are excellent cold weather layers. They don't really like going out in the snow, but will on sunny days.

Mine are doing great with the cold here in Wisconsin. Right now it's pretty warm but we had a cold snap when the temps were down to the low teens. They seemed just fine and happy in the cold.

As for laying they ain't the greatest. One will lay for a couple of weeks and then go broody so stop laying. The other seems to be having a mini molt. She's been the better layer but isn't now.

My Easter Eggers (which are a mix breed of Ameraucanas and Aracaunas) are great layers in the winter! I have three of them and they are extremely small birds (I think their bantams) and they usually out lay my 4 bigger birds

Thats interesting about the bantams. Most published literature I have read says they dont lay as well as large fowl. Recently I have heard several accounts of bantam Chantecler laying better than their full size counterparts.

Are the Ameraucanas good at hiding their eggs? All of my chickens are still laying eggs, my silkies are even starting to lay their first eggs! But I can’t seem to find any blue eggs. Thank you!

Are the Ameraucanas good at hiding their eggs? All of my chickens are still laying eggs, my silkies are even starting to lay their first eggs! But I can’t seem to find any blue eggs. Thank you!
All 'Ameraucanas' are not actually Ameraucanas,
but are Easter Eggers, so may lay brown eggs.
Full side view pics of birds should tell the tale.

Here is how you can tell if birds are laying or not.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

...and if they appear to be laying, and you free range then:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom