anyone know what/how to feed very tiny wild bunny

Dont give full cream milk, If you have small vertibrae milk powder anywhere near you grab some.
Otherwise water down some skim milk/low fat milk or kitten milk at 50% with lukewarm water and feed through a syringe or eyedropper or baby bottle with large hole in teat, you can enlargen the hole on teat if necessary then hold bunny gently to give milk.
Be careful he doesnt take it through the nose as he will drown.
I had to raise some boy bunnies last year as the male tried to kill them all so Ive had the same experience.
Let me know if you need more help, email me if you want, im here to help, Good luck
Ps also provide a warm hot water bottle for sleeping on if its cold .
Helen

Hi, Definitely try the kitten formula. Wal mart sells it in powder or liquiid formula over in the pet section. They should also have the small pet bottles with nipples. My recomendation-have more than 1 bottle. I cared for baby squirrels before, and small critters can tear through the nipples quickly!

Also, don't squeeze the formula down-just make sure your hole in nipple is big enough for milk to come out, but not pour out. Worse case scenerio-use a shot syringe (from doctor or vet). The tip will hold up much longer and baby bunny will adjust to learning to "nurse" through the harder tip while you gently squeeze.

And yes, you will need a warm heat source but not hot. YOu may want to consider either a small heating pad on LOW-but bunny may start chewing soon. You can also do the hot water bottle, and you may want to use one of the clip on silver reflector lamps with a 60 watt bulb. But whichever you chose-make sure baby can move away from the heat source if it gets too hot. Keep it from drafts.

Any questions just email!

I was a certified wildlife rehaber for years- baby bunnies are tough. They are so sensitive, they may actually seem like they are enjoying your "affection" but they are scared. They are best kept with as little contact as possible and released ASAP. They are only with mom for a very short time and actually leave her at 2 to 3 weeks. They are about the size of your hand when they start to venture on their own. Less is more with these guys--keep it to a minimum and send him on his way. he will do much better that wasy IMHO.

Last edited:
I had the same situation before with my cats bringing home a baby bunny. He died the next day from shock. I have been told that bunnies of all ages can actually scare themselves to death.

First of all, yes, I knew most of that info - but thanks forthe article. this baby was with my cat - not in its nest.

Now - for the good news and thanks to all w/ your help and suggestions. For the first time, I had a success. Baby bunny went through the night. He peed and pooped and I was tempted to let him go, but instead was able to take him to the experts at a wildlife center not too far away from here. So... at least this time a happy ending for him.

and me.

Back
Top Bottom