Anyone Use a Metal Gazebo Frame to Build a Run?

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i thought i saw someone on here who used an old metal gazebo frame as a run extension for their chickens. Can't find that post now. But i was thinking of doing this and would love to see pictures of what others have created. i guess i'm curious how you secure the top - just cover the entire thing in hardware cloth?

Thanks for the time anyone takes to post pictures of their gazebo run!

i just went to log onto citychickens.com and got a screen that came up saying the site is using malware(?) and could damage my computer if i continued. Weird. i've never seen anything like that come up when going to enter a site.

Okay, much better. i've seen that site before. Very good ideas there. Looks like they took a gazebo apart and used the pieces to make chicken tractors.

i'm getting a 10' x 13' metal gazebo frame tomorrow from someone on craigslist and was hoping to use it as a chicken pen.

i thought i saw someone on here who used an old metal gazebo frame as a run extension for their chickens. Can't find that post now. But i was thinking of doing this and would love to see pictures of what others have created. i guess i'm curious how you secure the top - just cover the entire thing in hardware cloth?

Thanks for the time anyone takes to post pictures of their gazebo run!
I'm actually planning to use an old worn out gazebo I have, for the run. Ours is octogan in shape and has a high top. So we will put hardware cloth at the bottom about a foot or so in the ground. Then we will layer our hardware cloth and 1/2 in galvanized chicken wire on up to the are that it starts to curve. Next, we'll lay pieces of 1/2 in chicken wire across the to and secure it. We'll build a doorway and door a both secured in the same wire, and place locks that critters can't just flip and unlock. Since our top is half shredded and the other side is not, we'll leave half up until it no longer is keeping rain out. But with the space between the top and coop top, we plan to keep that ready for a fan or a heat light. Come winter, (I'm in central FL) we'll add wood around the outside and wrap it in Visqueen with the heat lamp. Things works to keep the wind off, but allows the area to remain comfortable. (We did this with our horses too, and the loved it). Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom