Araucana thread anyone?

our first frost this winter. I hope it will be the last as well.

no araucanas at the moment. I do miss them. when I get all the things done I probably will get them again. but I need to fence an area for each breed. araucanas are great foragers.

I want to incubate a small batch of Araucana eggs. Does anyone have any Araucana specific advice on doing that? I'm asking because the hatch rate seems to be pretty low with Araucana.

I want to incubate a small batch of Araucana eggs. Does anyone have any Araucana specific advice on doing that? I'm asking because the hatch rate seems to be pretty low with Araucana.

a friend of mine trimmed their around butt feathers as he got infertile eggs. otherwise their eggs are just like any other breed's eggs. if you have both males and females tufted expect up to 25% DIS.

I’m new, but I’ll share what I’ve learned-
I’ve incubated two hatches of Araucanas- the first was 1 egg out of 12, the second was 5 out of 36 eggs. I waited 24 days with each and then gave up. I had an 87% hatch rate of different breeds between the two, so I didn’t think it was the incubator. I was SO frustrated and sad. The rates for incubating were dismal for me.

I purchased a breeding flock of Araucanas, clean faces and rumpleless (4 hens and a roo) and one of the ladies went broody so I let her have 10 eggs. One had no development at 11 days, so I pulled it- 9 eggs remained. One was crushed in a nesting box squabble- the interloper was put in time out and crushed egg removed. 8 eggs remained. 21 days went by and Mamma was sitting strong, but no peeps… 23 days came along and I was ready to trash the nest and save the hen, who was starting to pale a bit. But the first egg I pulled out was so loud, I could hear it once the light hit it. I put it back. 27 total days of sitting and Momma successfully hatched 8 chicks. I don’t think I would have done 27 days in an incubator… it was a slow hatch- first chick at day 23, last on day 27, but momma knew what she was doing. Using the broody mom pushed the hatch rate from 13.8 to 80%, even with uncontrolled factors like nesting box fights. This is my first year with Araucanas, but my last year ever incubating them. I’ll use a broody from here on out. I’ve never let a broody set before and honestly that was a mistake… this is bucket loads better for me emotionally and also stress wise. No brooding box and heating concerns because mom has it covered.

Attachments

• IMG_3583.jpeg
    IMG_3583.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom