At what age do runner ducks start laying?

Doug the Chicken Man

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Near Ottawa, Ontario
So that is the question.
We we bought 3 runners at an auction 1 was a drake and the other two are female. We have seen the drake mounting the girls but at what age will the girls start to lay eggs?
After three weeks of feeding peas as treats they now they will get to with in bout 5 feet of us. Just waiting to see when they will start to lay eggs.
they spend a lot of time swimming around from what we have seen. The previous owner didn't seem to give them much chance to swim. Now they have a good swiming hole to play in.

My friend just got runners and I was wondering the same thing
big_smile.png

From Storey's Guide: "With good management, Lightweight Breed pullets begin laying at 17 to 24 weeks."

I reckon at about three or four pounds adult weight, runners fall into this group.

Mine are 12 weeks old today. I plan to give them a small handful of crushed oyster shell free choice once a week until they are 16 weeks old, then about twice a week until they start laying. Once that begins, I plan to have the oyster shell out at all times.

I am also introducing them to just a little bit (a light sprinkle on top of their feed) of small pieces of cat kibble. It will be a supplement for them during laying and cold spells.

Last edited:
My laying ducks consume a HUGE amount of oyster shell compared to my laying chickens. Not suprising with how much larger and thicker shelled their eggs are. % layer ducks and 5 layer hens consume 3 to 4 cups of oyster shell a week. I also spread crushed limstone in their run periodically to help with the smell and the eat that too.

Unfortunatly due to them being bought at an auction we are unsure of the age. But it is interesting to note the amount of calcium intake. So I guess I should start putting it out as the drake is mounting them which should mean that they are gettting to the age that it will be coming soon.

I decided to go ahead with the weekly oyster shell because at eleven weeks, my girls have been "in the mood," and I reckon that means we are headed toward laying season.

tomatoladi,

It has been many years since I had Pekins, but I am thinking that as a larger breed, it would be longer than with the runners, which are smaller. My understanding is that the smaller ones generally (there are always exceptions, yes?) start laying a bit earlier than the larger breeds.

Also, I have been told that the seasons affect their laying. Ducks hatched in midsummer might not start laying until the next spring, for example.

Mine were hatched the last week of February, so they are maturing relatively early in the year (for New England). That is why I expect we will see some eggs by the end of the summer.

There are also cases of precocious birds, those that begin laying weeks ahead of "schedule."

Back
Top Bottom