ATTACK OF THE RATS (Graphic Photo Warning)

will any chicken breeds or birds attack rats?
I have witnessed hawks carry them off. I use to fire off bottle rockets at the Hawks to scamper them away from my poultry. But now I know they are after the rats. They can fly away with a rat, not a 5lb chicken.
I have learned it is better to co exist with the Hawks. They are now my employees.

Them game birds be fierce.
So sorry about your rat problem Farmerconnie. I feel so awful for your beautiful hen who was eaten alive. I can only imagine the stress your other chickens went through hearing/seeing that happening.
I too am against poison, since it would harm the natural predators of your rats. But there are plenty of other great methods for exterminating the nasty rodents.

These were big farm rats. They scatted when we flipped on the light just like a pack of roaches.
We are trying our best to control them. We are way out in the rural country. The surrounding farmers I speak to are having to deal with it as well. One guy told me if I hear a blast go off at 2am, it's just his sawed off 12 gauge spraying buck shot taking out 10 at a time.
All the rain, and all the grain, the rat situation is truly insane!
:barnie
Buy the rat poison in 1x1 squares and solid. Put the poison bait in areas where your chickens cannot get into it. After 3 days scout the area where your chickens are and dispose of the dead ones. My chickens have not tried to even the dead rats. If you have concrete floors where the rats can go under throw some back in the. With in 2 weeks you should be in good shape.

Buy the rat poison in 1x1 squares and solid. Put the poison bait in areas where your chickens cannot get into it. After 3 days scout the area where your chickens are and dispose of the dead ones. My chickens have not tried to even the dead rats. If you have concrete floors where the rats can go under throw some back in the. With in 2 weeks you should be in good shape.

I consider poison, as you describe... to probably be the single most effective means of control! :old

However, it doesn't line up with my lifestyle :rolleyes:... AND they outlawed poison here in California. :he Still... seriously considering it!! :oops:

May i suggest using only live or lethal traps. If you intend on exterminating the rats, please do so without the use of "Poison", it eliminates the chance of other animals being hurt/killed by the poison, including owls. I have never been fond of Poisoning anything. Large rat traps with either fatback(raw) or peanut butter works great..

Hello,

I agree with you 100% so... x2 for me. Sorry for your loss, may this never happen to you again. Peanut butter is a great suggestion and chocolate works perfect too. No poison.

-The Angry Hen

Hello,

I agree with you 100% so... x2 for me. Sorry for your loss, may this never happen to you again. Peanut butter is a great suggestion and chocolate works perfect too. No poison.

-The Angry Hen

The chocolate will work for sure... I ain't taken my eyes off that chocolate!! :drool They gonna have to fight me for it. :mad: :lau

I'm not using poison for real though. But even with me being anti poison it is still tempting. I can see how that would be the easy answer for some.

Back
Top Bottom