Baby chick bit by dog, in critical conditions

Erika15

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2019
Hey everyone,
I'm seeking for help for my baby chick. It was bit by my dog yesterday evening and has an open wound on the left side of his head. It has stopped bleeding but I don't know what to do. He discharged some pus looking fluid from the wound. His eyes seem a little swollen and his head is slightly purple. His right eye is completely close and his left eye is slightly open. He is not chirping at all since the incident happened. We have fed him some corn and water. His body temp feels cool. We have him wrapped up in blanket. We can I do ? And how should I clean up his wound. I would greatly appreciate all the help and tips I can get please!

Hey everyone,
I'm seeking for help for my baby chick. It was bit by my dog yesterday evening and has an open wound on the left side of his head. It has stopped bleeding but I don't know what to do. He discharged some pus looking fluid from the wound. His eyes seem a little swollen and his head is slightly purple. His right eye is completely close and his left eye is slightly open. He is not chirping at all since the incident happened. We have fed him some corn and water. His body temp feels cool. We have him wrapped up in blanket. We can I do ? And how should I clean up his wound. I would greatly appreciate all the help and tips I can get please!
How sad :(If he was bit by your dog and if it is a puncture wound it can easily get infected, most likely it won’t survive without antibiotics and that would require a vet appointment.

> He discharged some pus looking fluid from the wound.

This sounds kind of like cranial fluid from the brain cavity (I think it's too early for it to be actual pus from an infection), I'm not sure how good this little guy's chances are if the dog's bite has punctured the skull.

> We have fed him some corn and water

How old is the chick?

If I was you I'd get some vetericyn wound care spray and keep the area disinfected, or take it to the vet (which would likely be expensive in comparison to the worth of the chick) but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much for the chick's recovery in either case, it sounds like it's in pretty poor shape.

Do you think there is any chance of saving him?
Little chicks are so delicate and it doesn’t take much to send them on their way downhill. If there is puss and you are not going to take it to the vet you might try dabbing it with a little Q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide, just keep it warm and you will most likely know it’s fate within the next day or two.

How sad :(If he was bit by your dog and if it is a puncture wound it can easily get infected, most likely it won’t

This sounds kind of like cranial fluid from the brain cavity (I think it's too early for it to be actual pus from an infection), I'm not sure how good this little guy's chances are if the dog's bite has punctured the skull.

> We have fed him some corn and water

How old is the chick?

If I

Attachments

• 20190414_104851.jpg
    20190414_104851.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 23
Are you keeping the chick warm under a heat lamp? I cannot see any injury in your pictures. There shouldn’t have been any pus formed yet if the chick was just bitten yesterday evening. Did this material come out of the wound? Can you try to take a picture of the wound? Chick should be fed chick feed mixed with a lot of water, somc cooked egg, and more water, but nothing else. It looks pretty alert. Can it walk? Are there any other symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom