Bald Spots In Baby Chick!! Any help please??

manny5412

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014

I know that baby chicks will eventually hit their "dinosaur" stage and have a few SMALL bald spots but I don't think this is normal! Any help trying to identify what might be wrong with him/her? Just for a side fact, he/she is a new jersey giant.

No, I'd say that's not normal. They do tend to look raggedy when young, but not like that. It almost looks like an injury. It's possible the chick is the victim of feather picking, but it's a bit of an odd location for that. I would check for lice/mites, and watch them for a while to see if I coan figure out what is going on.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Thank you! I will make sure to inspect the bird a bit better for any lice/mites! =)

Have you figured anything out about the bald spot? I have one 2 week old chick with two symetrical bald spots under her wings along the side of her body. If the wings are in their natural position, you can't see the spots, but when she moves her wings, I can see them. Maybe 1/2 inch wide and 2-3 inches long, about the length of the wing. Chick is eating, drinking, sleeping etc. and I don't see it on any of the other chicks.
Any ideas at all??? We are first time chicken raisers!

^ that sounds normal, they tend to be baldish under their wings (I.e., their armpits), some more than others. If you are extra concerned, you can post some photos for opinions.

I didn't find anything wrong with my baby chick. Checked it for mites or other pests under its wing and around the vent but no sign of anything. They don't have much space at the moment because they are still in their brooder. So I kind of want to say that it might be the conditions its in, because they do tend to step on each other at times.

Have you figured anything out about the bald spot? I have one 2 week old chick with two symetrical bald spots under her wings along the side of her body. If the wings are in their natural position, you can't see the spots, but when she moves her wings, I can see them. Maybe 1/2 inch wide and 2-3 inches long, about the length of the wing. Chick is eating, drinking, sleeping etc. and I don't see it on any of the other chicks.
Any ideas at all??? We are first time chicken raisers!
good luck on your first time raising chickens. You won't regret it! what breed(s) did you choose to start off with?
smile.png

B
good luck on your first time raising chickens. You won't regret it! what breed(s) did you choose to start off with? :)

I didn't see this reply months ago!! We have black declines, New Hampshire reds, buff orpingtons, a brown leghorn, and an auracana. They all made it through that balding stage and are doing well 10 months in!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom