Best coyote proof fence??

goosemama

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Forestville, New York
We have a five foot welded wire fence around our backyard and pond for our chickens, ducks & geese. The chickens are shut up in a secure coop at night but the geese & ducks will not leave the pond. We figure either a fox or coyote was taking chickens off one at a time last summer - I lost about 9 young chickens over the summer. This week one of my two female geese was missing. Looked everywhere for her and just now spotted a pile of white feathers scattered through several rows of our vineyard behind the backyard. This must be a coyote scaling the fence at night. What are the best suggestions to keep him out? Would electric poultry netting work (48 inches) installed outside the welded wire fence or a hot electric wire added on top at near the bottom of the existing fence? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

I saw something, I think it was on the TSC website that is supposed to prevent bobcats and coyotes. It's a solar or battery powered box that has a red light on it and is supposed to keep them away. I'll try and find the name of it for you.

I found the website, but it wasn't on TSC.
http://www.niteguard.com/
I don't know anything about it other than what I've seen on the website, but it wouldn't hurt to check it. Maybe it can help.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you are referring to Niteguard. It's a solar box with a red flashing light that is guaranteed to keep coyotes, fox, raccoons, owls, bear, hawks, cougar, etc. away from your coop. They think the red light is an eye that is watching them. I got 4 for $99 from Randall Burkey Co. last year. I haven't had chickens in my coop yet, but put them up anyway and they have been flashing since last summer. I still see raccoons in my yard, but nothing close to the coop; then again there have been no chickens for a predator to try to go after. Others rave about them and say they work great. We'll see when my chicks are bigger.

Coyotes can easily scale a 6' high fence, and much higher. They're great climbers and diggers, so the best bet is coyote proofing the bird areas.

Thanks to all for suggestions. However, I have two of those Niteguards in the fenced area - paid $24.99 each for them and I lost 9 or l0 young chickens all summer long. It was as if I was providing a free buffet - evrery couple of days one or two would be missing and this was in broad daylight. The fenced yard and pond are directly behind our house and we never heard a thing! We still don't know if its fox, coyote or raccoon but now they have carried off one of my female geese (l0 or l2lb) and that really infuriates me. They can't breach the coop and all the hens go in there at dusk. I have heard coyotes can scale a 5 or 6ft. fence so we are thinking of putting an electric fence right in front of the welded wire. We had New Zealand high tensile electric fencing when we raised sheep and never lost a lamb so maybe that is the way to go - a double shield around the perimeter of the welded wire fence?

Quote:
I use something similar to this to draw and catch bobcats with , it is amazing how curious animals are my sisters daughter gave me a button with a flashing red light on it says big 5 0 when I turned 50 tinsel works well too as do CD's spining on a piece of copper wire with a fishing swivel the button my niece gave me is battery powered and has lasted several trapping seasons now I think she got it from spencers at the mall LOL

Back
Top Bottom