Best diet for quail and eggs

Lowmask2

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
I have 50 quail. Half are white bobwhites. Half corturnix. One half is about 6 months, a quarter of them about 3 months. and the last quarter are about 1 1/2 months.

i want to know whats a good diet for feeding quail. I need something that will make their food last and a diet that will provide them will the most nutrients for their eggs.

I currently use purinas crumble made for game birds. It has 30% protein.

The Purina Startena (the 30%) is great for chicks and young birds. Now that yours are adults, they should be switched to something that's closer to the 20% protein range. Purina has a game bird formula for adults if you want to keep the same brand, but there are several brands that carry game bird crumble.

I use Hunt & Behren's or Bar Ale game bird crumble.

I use Hudson feeds gamebird pellets for my adults, I get them thru chewy.com and it’s maybe $30 for 50 pounds. If you spend more than $50 you get free shipping. I have the subscribe and save set up so I save a few bucks that way and I always get 2+ bags so I get free shipping. I’m a big fan of Hudson brand feeds and I’ve tried a variety of feeds. Amazon has this homestead harvest and it’s the worst, half of it is powder and the birds won’t eat it. If it spills it reacts strongly with water and makes cement like shoes on their toes and feet, and the poop smells really bad if you’re keeping any indoors.

The Purina Startena (the 30%) is great for chicks and young birds. Now that yours are adults, they should be switched to something that's closer to the 20% protein range. Purina has a game bird formula for adults if you want to keep the same brand, but there are several brands that carry game bird crumble.

I use Hunt & Behren's or Bar Ale game bird crumble.
Would 16 layer crumble be ok? Or does it have to be 20. What other brand should i use if i want eggs mostly?

Would 16 layer crumble be ok? Or does it have to be 20. What other brand should i use if i want eggs mostly?
The 16% layer crumbles will be fine. You might want to supplement a little protein now and then with boiled, crushed eggs or meal worms. Go light on the mealworms, though, since they are also high in fat.

Back
Top Bottom