TabbiMae

Chirping
Jul 13, 2018
IMG_20180807_112838.jpg
IMG_20180813_133549.jpg

[Pic 1: Left is an 11 week old cockeral, middle/right are 15 week old pullets
Pic 2: 1yo rooster]

I love my Bielefelders, my pullets are gorgeous and friendly and my cockerel and rooster are absolute eye-candy that can also get the job done. I am seriously stumped as to why this breed isn't more popular!

Who else has these birds? For those who considered them but don't own any, why not?

Oh my! The boys are handsome aren't they. I was recommended a biel by the breeder when I was selecting pullets for a mixed flock and explained my criteria, cold hardy, friendly, docile, good layer, larger. She quickly became my favorite chicken. She is brave, but not aggressive, curious, a great layer, lays the largest eggs of all my birds, likes people the most of all my birds, took the runt under her wing (literally, I would find the runt roosting under her wing for weeks when she recovered from a respiratory illness and was re-integrated with the flock). I would get another one again in a heartbeat!

Oh my! The boys are handsome aren't they. I was recommended a biel by the breeder when I was selecting pullets for a mixed flock and explained my criteria, cold hardy, friendly, docile, good layer, larger. She quickly became my favorite chicken. She is brave, but not aggressive, curious, a great layer, lays the largest eggs of all my birds, likes people the most of all my birds, took the runt under her wing (literally, I would find the runt roosting under her wing for weeks when she recovered from a respiratory illness and was re-integrated with the flock). I would get another one again in a heartbeat!
You should! They are fantastic, my husband is 100% on board for them. The chicks/eggs sell well aswell which is a nice bonus The breeder I got my girls/cockerel from actually sells every single male she hatches! I had to wait 2 months for a cockerel because she never had any available.

For those who considered them but don't own any, why not?
Not sure I could say I've really considered them but I saw some for sale and had the breeder try to talk me into getting some while looking at a different breed.
For me nothing really jumped out about them to get me excited.
Like the pattern and the auto sexing but they reminded me a lot of the Legbars and Legbars have the blue egg laying going for them so for me the Bielefelders just didn't have enough going for them to see the need.

Size..... if you are looking for a true dual purpose chicken these are great! I have several and I was very pleased with the few we butchered even at one year old! Now most backyard folks do not seem to be butchering their own anymore, I do because I do not see much point In buying chicken when i can grow my own.
That being said everyone has different goals for their flock

Not sure I could say I've really considered them but I saw some for sale and had the breeder try to talk me into getting some while looking at a different breed.
For me nothing really jumped out about them to get me excited.
Like the pattern and the auto sexing but they reminded me a lot of the Legbars and Legbars have the blue egg laying going for them so for me the Bielefelders just didn't have enough going for them to see the need.
Those are all good points! I actually will never raise CCLs, I think hens look silly with their little top hat And the roosters white earlobes look funny as well. Blue eggs are fantastic, someone in my area raises Silkies who poop blue eggs but that's as close as I'm willing to get. Too much bad blood with Biele/CCL flocks anyway, there are plenty CCLs and I'm proud to own standard Bieles :)

Size..... if you are looking for a true dual purpose chicken these are great! I have several and I was very pleased with the few we butchered even at one year old! Now most backyard folks do not seem to be butchering their own anymore, I do because I do not see much point In buying chicken when i can grow my own.
That being said everyone has different goals for their flock
Yup!! We raise Bielefelder capons for meat. Helps that they are so gorgeous ;)

Back
Top Bottom