Box for first days of quail

CSKA

Chirping
Feb 12, 2024
Dear all, been hatching chicken and ducks but quail will be my first time.

What I have for their first days of life would be a big plastic box 3 feet x 1 foot x (1 foot 5 inches high aprox). This box would be inside home, has no top, unless I improvise some chicken wire for it.

Question 1) From what age would they be able jump/fly out?

Question 2) I will be hatching chicken, ducks and quail in one go (calibrated to be born at the same time). Is there a problem if they are all in the space space under the same heating?

No they can not be all housed together in a brooder.
The quail will be jumping out in less than a week.
Same for the chickens.

Do you have permanent separate housing for them each yet?

No they can not be all housed together in a brooder.
The quail will be jumping out in less than a week.
Same for the chickens.

Do you have permanent separate housing for them each yet?
Yes, its just for the first week, because I have a few cages but they are all still occupied. Also only have one heating lamp available, so I need to improvise something for the first week.

Yes, its just for the first week, because I have a few cages but they are all still occupied. Also only have one heating lamp available, so I need to improvise something for the first week.
The chick's will be jumping/flying out within a week after hatching. Ducks, chickens and quail all need their own brooder. You will need separate heat sources for each, waterers and feeders, as they all don't require the same feed.

They do need to be brooded separately. That first week is critical for proper nutrition and each species requires different feed.

They also have different environmental requirements. The ducks require deep enough water to cover and clean their nares, and your quail chicks will drown in that, for example.

They will be jumping/flying out of that brooder in a week or less.

Back
Top Bottom