HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
I've never had baby chicks before, but I am picking up 6 meat birds from Meyer in September, and they are also giving me the free "meal maker" layer chick with my order. This layer will grow up with the meaties, but I think she'll be lonely when they go outside before she does. I've decided I'll get a "bin chick" from Meyer when I'm there. They just have all the extra female layer chicks of all breeds in a bin and you pick one.

My question to you all is: are there any breeds that you can easily tell apart from others as baby chicks? What features are a dead giveaway of certain breeds? I just want to avoid certain breeds and there are also breeds I would prefer to have.

Breeds/hybrids I want to avoid: Heavy production breeds like the Golden Comet because I've had too many health issues with mine once they are no longer in their prime. Conversely, I also want to avoid breeds that do not lay many eggs.

Breeds/hybrids I am interested in: Black Australorp, Easter Egger, White Plymouth Rock, and heritage breeds that lay at least 3-5 per week. Just anything that lays decently, is healthy, and is friendly.

So, are there any baby chicks you look at and can know right away what they are? Especially of the ones I've listed that I want or don't want?

I figured this might not only be helpful to me, but also to others picking from assorted chick bins.

Here are some breeds!

Welsummer!
View attachment 3194515
This breed is very friendly and are efficent egg layers! One of the best parts is that they lay a dark speckled egg

Speckled sussex!

The same as welsummer the defined colors are females and the more faded markings are males! These guys are average egg layers and are very funny confident birds.
Thank you! Are these easily identifiable amongst other breeds? I will be choosing from a bin of all females.

Back
Top Bottom