Broke My Broody Hen, How Long Before She Starts Laying Again?

SpeckledSussex7

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
She seems to be spending a lot of time outside the coop now. We've had her for a week and she was broody when we got her. She is about 2 years old and we are wondering how long it will be before she starts laying again. We don't want her to go broody until early spring. She is a mixed/unknown breed and I am not sure if it depends on what breed the hen is. I saw another similar post where it took 7 to 10 days, for others it was 2 weeks or longer. One member said it was over a month and the hen changed her disposition altogether. Yikes!Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Wow I thought something was wrong with my birds. Both hens went broody within a week of each other and were between them setting on 24 eggs. Not knowing how old any of the eggs were I had to throw them all out which broke my heart after all their hard work., But broke the chickens up and boarded up under my house where they chose to lay them on insulation. Now its been about a week almost and no eggs. I was baffled to think they went from 24 eggs to nothing and couldn't' figure out why. I did not realize that there was a dry period after broodiness. Much relieved. I was about to pen up my free range hens just to make sure, and glad I didn't. They love thier freedom.

I noticed my broody hen's comb and wattles aren't as bright red as the non-broody hens when we got them last week. I read that the roosters use that trait to know which hen is fertile. I'll be watching closely for her comb and wattles to gain more color, and to see if that has anything to do with her laying again. I also didn't know that broody hens had a dry period either. We're adding electrolyte/vitamin supplement to their water, along with pro-biotic and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to each gallon of water. When she was broody, I made sure to pull her out of the nest several times a day to watch her eat, drink and dust bathe.

The last broody hen that I broke took nearly three weeks to start laying. It was spotty after that too. That was last year and she's starting to show broody behavior again.

As a footnote I just got my first egg today from the two hens above that I mentioned. They both act ready to lay and so am watching for the second egg. Should be soon now:) 10 days from the day that I found the 24 egg clutch.

I dont mean to sound like I'm bragging cuz I'm not at all, but both hens are back to laying, so all told they were off lay for ten days for one and 12 for the other....lNow back to every day. Call that blessed I suppose:)

Back
Top Bottom