Brooder

kicknchicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Not sure if this should be here or in the 'raising baby chicks' area but thought I would get some good answers here. I am looking at getting 50 chicks. From what I have read they need at least 1sq each. I am looking to build a brooder 4x12 to 4x16. I am trying to figure out how many lights I should get for a similar setup. Would starting with a condensed space and one light then opening up for a larger area and one light work? Or should I do one light on each end of the brooder to keep them warm?

Here's a space chart for chicks, that I found somewhere on BYC:

up to 2 weeks: 0.5 sq ft per chick
3 and 4 weeks: 1 sq ft per chick
4 to 8 weeks: 2.5 sq ft per chick

I've only raised a few batches of chicks in a brooder, myself -- mostly I've used broodies and the chicks have grown up in the flock. But I wouldn't have them in any less sapce.I always feel that the heat source should be arranged so that they can get far away from it if they want. I always liked those old fashioned circular brooders with the heat in the middle and a big area around the hood, and the food and water out in the cooler area.

And, I think this thread and setup are just amazing, so I usually find I have to post this link when I post about brooders:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735392/redneck-fungshui-brooding-17-degree-temperatures/0_20

In the "coops" tab in the brown strip at the top of the page, there is a section on brooders, in case you haven't seen it.

Back
Top Bottom