Buckeye Hen Suspected Sour Crop Has Green Runny Poop

In my understanding, if you mix 1 tsp epsom salt in water and give to her, that's epsom salt flushing. When using a syringe to feed, you can add less water. I add 1 tsp epsom salt to 40 ml water for tube feed. I have done lots of tube feeding because the Marek's in my flock causing many cases of cancers, so I'm used to do it but am still very scared every time.

When my hen had sour crop, I heard air moving in her crop and she burped from time to time too. It's also normal for fluid coming out of her beak when you massage her. My hen's crop was finally flat without any fluid this morning, then I can feel a small grass ball in her crop. She hasn't eat any grass for a month, so it was the grass clogged her crop. She doesn't need more treatment other than probiotics and a few drops of oil, but she has to stay on baby chick feed until she passes the grass.

If your hen's crop is empty, hopefully she will recover soon. I would say her feathers look rough. Maybe keep her on chick feed to see if extra protein will help? I heard Buckeyes need more protein than other chickens.
Could my hen benefit from scrambled eggs? Or just stick strictly to chick feed and nothing else?

I did not know that they need more protein, the more you know!

Could my hen benefit from scrambled eggs? Or just stick strictly to chick feed and nothing else?

I did not know that they need more protein, the more you know!
Yeah, since her crop was emptied, scrambled egg should be good for her. Just not too much.

I'm getting a buckeye pullet next month, so I did researches and find some people claim that buckeyes needs more protein. Not sure how true it is, but my flock is always on higher protein feed.

Yeah, since her crop was emptied, scrambled egg should be good for her. Just not too much.

I'm getting a buckeye pullet next month, so I did researches and find some people claim that buckeyes needs more protein. Not sure how true it is, but my flock is always on higher protein feed.
I will give her a little bit of scrambled eggs and see how that goes.

Make sure you get the buckeye from a good breeder because there have been multiple people on here telling me that there are some buckeyes that have perfect genetics and they don't lose any buckeyes from anything other than predators. Then there are some people who have buckeyes that come down with sickness more than any other chicken they have. I unfortunately have the second one.

I got mine from TSC hoping they would carry chicks with good genetics and I was disappointed.

I get my Buckeyes from Meyer hatchery. I don't think any large hatchery will do extra job to breed their chickens for better health. I usually prefer a local breeder and his chicks are much healthier and friendlier with way less gene defects. Unfortunately, my son wants silkes and I can only get silke pullets from Meyer, so I order this year's chicks from Meyer.

I get my Buckeyes from Meyer hatchery. I don't think any large hatchery will do extra job to breed their chickens for better health. I usually prefer a local breeder and his chicks are much healthier and friendlier with way less gene defects. Unfortunately, my son wants silkes and I can only get silke pullets from Meyer, so I order this year's chicks from Meyer.
I wish you the best of luck with the silkies. Those are a breed I plan on getting at some point, they are excellent mamas and are pretty chickens.

I get mine from Meyer Hatchery they've all been pretty amazing. That's not to say there haven't been issues, and the two that I lost seemed to follow external forces/events, and a bit of self blame for not catching it quicker or doing things wrong.

Feeding them too much treats, and situational changes, but it's always hard to say. There is one thread on here that comes close to what I experienced https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wyandotte-wasting-away.1607113/page-2#post-27394135 which was a yellow thick liquid that choked her when it came up.

At first I thought I gave too much scrambled eggs one day, and there's no doubt I did. I thought oh calcium deficiency/internal laying because I saw two girls pooping yellow, one looked as though a egg busted right at her vent and poured out (she's now fine)

Perhaps it was an infection of some sort. The Vet just wasn't knowledgeable enough and by the time I got a hold of https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10 my other girl couldn't keep it down.

The crazy thing is her sister made it and both had yellow poop. Though initial girl had greenish wet poop too. Could have been an infection. I can't recall if I had given her sister Ivermectin or not at the time. I think I opted out of that and focused on initial sick girl.

Next time around I'm going to make a journal and be very meticulous. Anyway that's my story not to detract from your needs here. Not sure how else I can be of help so hopefully more experienced members can input.

I get mine from Meyer Hatchery they've all been pretty amazing. That's not to say there haven't been issues, and the two that I lost seemed to follow external forces/events, and a bit of self blame for not catching it quicker or doing things wrong.

Feeding them too much treats, and situational changes, but it's always hard to say. There is one thread on here that comes close to what I experienced https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wyandotte-wasting-away.1607113/page-2#post-27394135 which was a yellow thick liquid that choked her when it came up.

At first I thought I gave too much scrambled eggs one day, and there's no doubt I did. I thought oh calcium deficiency/internal laying because I saw two girls pooping yellow, one looked as though a egg busted right at her vent and poured out (she's now fine)

Perhaps it was an infection of some sort. The Vet just wasn't knowledgeable enough and by the time I got a hold of https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10 my other girl couldn't keep it down.

The crazy thing is her sister made it and both had yellow poop. Though initial girl had greenish wet poop too. Could have been an infection. I can't recall if I had given her sister Ivermectin or not at the time. I think I opted out of that and focused on initial sick girl.

Next time around I'm going to make a journal and be very meticulous. Anyway that's my story not to detract from your needs here. Not sure how else I can be of help so hopefully more experienced members can input.
It is never enjoyable when you have sick chickens and I wish you the best of luck with journaling on your chicken's well-being!

Thank you, how is yours doing?
She had seemed to have gotten better one morning and then went right back to being hunched over and having little to no interest in eating. I don't kmow what to do with her now, she has been sick for at least a month.

She had seemed to have gotten better one morning and then went right back to being hunched over and having little to no interest in eating. I don't kmow what to do with her now, she has been sick for at least a month.
Unfortunately, it looks like she has other underlaying health issues that caused the sour crop. My guess is it could be reproduction problems. You can give her some vitamins and a little oregano leaves to support her immune system. Maybe cover her cage to make it dark most the time, so her body stops produce eggs.

Back
Top Bottom