Do you have a bully breed?

• Total voters
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums, and we don't have our chickens yet but we just bought a house and it comes with a coop, so we're excited to get started.

We have a pit bull mix (we did his DNA test -- he's 60% American pit bull terrier). He's very much a terrier, going after mice and rats, but he ignores birds so we think he'll be a good "big brother" to our hens. There's a rooster along our current walking route that confuses him, because it's a small animal that's not afraid of him. He'll be jealous with some of the kitchen scraps the hens will be allowed to have that he can't. (He gets a lot of our scraps, too!)

393507804_18388852783040258_3613068225041986284_n.jpg

His name is Mago. We adopted him in October 2020. He's about 6 1/2 years old now. I was not a pit bull person, and was outvoted by the rest of the family. But he worked hard to win me over and I trained him to be my running partner. Now he never leaves my side.

He's very smart and very trainable, and will do anything for treats and love. Any tips for assimilating him and chicks with each other? The chicks will have a "private room" for their brooding box, and they have an enclosed run and coop but we'd love for them to be able to spend some time in the yard free-ranging if it's safe.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums, and we don't have our chickens yet but we just bought a house and it comes with a coop, so we're excited to get started.

We have a pit bull mix (we did his DNA test -- he's 60% American pit bull terrier). He's very much a terrier, going after mice and rats, but he ignores birds so we think he'll be a good "big brother" to our hens. There's a rooster along our current walking route that confuses him, because it's a small animal that's not afraid of him. He'll be jealous with some of the kitchen scraps the hens will be allowed to have that he can't. (He gets a lot of our scraps, too!)

View attachment 3844594

His name is Mago. We adopted him in October 2020. He's about 6 1/2 years old now. I was not a pit bull person, and was outvoted by the rest of the family. But he worked hard to win me over and I trained him to be my running partner. Now he never leaves my side.

He's very smart and very trainable, and will do anything for treats and love. Any tips for assimilating him and chicks with each other? The chicks will have a "private room" for their brooding box, and they have an enclosed run and coop but we'd love for them to be able to spend some time in the yard free-ranging if it's safe.

Thanks!

Stephanie
He’s adorable!!! And :welcome and the thread!!!

A few nights ago I woke up to Luna barking and making a ruckus. I came out to find Luna had caught and killed a rat in my basement. It was the middle of the night and I was so tired I stared at the lifeless rat on my floor for a while trying to think of what to do with it... 😆

This is not the first time she's killed a rodent. She doesn't play with them. She shakes them like a terrier should and there is no blood. She acts like it's very serious business.

A few nights ago I woke up to Luna barking and making a ruckus. I came out to find Luna had caught and killed a rat in my basement. It was the middle of the night and I was so tired I stared at the lifeless rat on my floor for a while trying to think of what to do with it... 😆

This is not the first time she's killed a rodent. She doesn't play with them. She shakes them like a terrier should and there is no blood. She acts like it's very serious business.
My dog also takes his hunting very serious. Problem is there's nothing but chickens for hunting🥲

My dog also takes his hunting very serious. Problem is there's nothing but chickens for hunting🥲
Oh boy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom