Call duck eggs incubation instructions

shelby hayden

Chirping
Nov 27, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have hatched silkies, duck, and emus.
By never a call duck. I am looking for just the general instructions for this. I will be useing egg shell temp to incubate as I have had a 100% hatch rate from doing so.
I know it takes 26 to 27 days to hatch.
But at what temperature and humidity?

Temperature is the same as with other ducks, 99.5 F in a forced air incubator or 101.5 F in a still air. Humidity depends on your location, and no one humidity is going to be right for everyone. For me, 30% works the best, but it could be different for you. You might want to weigh them to monitor weight loss so you can adjust, or just keep an eye on the air cells.

Hatch day is day 26, lockdown day is day 23. Also, since Calls have been breed to have short necks and beaks, they have trouble hatching. Ones that aren't as good examples of the standard can usually do okay, but the better they are in terms of type, the harder it is for them to hatch, so if the eggs are coming from nice stock you'll want to be prepared to assist just in case.

Temperature is the same as with other ducks, 99.5 F in a forced air incubator or 101.5 F in a still air. Humidity depends on your location, and no one humidity is going to be right for everyone. For me, 30% works the best, but it could be different for you. You might want to weigh them to monitor weight loss so you can adjust, or just keep an eye on the air cells.

Hatch day is day 26, lockdown day is day 23. Also, since Calls have been breed to have short necks and beaks, they have trouble hatching. Ones that aren't as good examples of the standard can usually do okay, but the better they are in terms of type, the harder it is for them to hatch, so if the eggs are coming from nice stock you'll want to be prepared to assist just in case.
Thank you so much I have plenty of experience in assisting and have everything needed on on hand. So after the internal pip you would give the same 24 hrs before assistance

Thank you so much I have plenty of experience in assisting and have everything needed on on hand. So after the internal pip you would give the same 24 hrs before assistance

For the safety hole yes, but with Calls I tend to open the air cell a bit sooner, just because I had a bunch of them turn to zip (which they couldn't do because their beaks couldn't hit the shell hard enough) and block off their own air supply and suffocate. So I started opening the air cell after twelve hours from the safety hole or external pip. Then I just kept everything moist and they push out when they're ready.

For the safety hole yes, but with Calls I tend to open the air cell a bit sooner, just because I had a bunch of them turn to zip (which they couldn't do because their beaks couldn't hit the shell hard enough) and block off their own air supply and suffocate. So I started opening the air cell after twelve hours from the safety hole or external pip. Then I just kept everything moist and they push out when they're ready.
Okay, just so I have it correct do a safety hole at 24 hrs. Then 12 hrs after that open the air cell.

Okay, just so I have it correct do a safety hole at 24 hrs. Then 12 hrs after that open the air cell.

Yep, that's what I do :) I've found I have the best success that way. If the ones you're getting are from less typey stock, they might be able to hatch on their own, but always best to be prepared :)

Breeders with really nice stock sometimes only get one or two to hatch in an entire year. That might be without assistance, I'm not sure, but that puts in perspective just how much their short necks and beaks can affect hatching success for them if they're from show stock.

Yep, that's what I do :) I've found I have the best success that way. If the ones you're getting are from less typey stock, they might be able to hatch on their own, but always best to be prepared :)

Breeders with really nice stock sometimes only get one or two to hatch in an entire year. That might be without assistance, I'm not sure, but that puts in perspective just how much their short necks and beaks can affect hatching success for them if they're from show stock.
Thank you so much.

I have apair of calls just getting eggs. But seems like there not fertile . Should I wait awile and try another egg .Or should I just set in the incubator and see if anything grows??? Thanks

Can you tell me the percentage of weight loss for Call Ducks over incubation period? I am currently hatching Muscovy eggs and was told 2.8% per week. Just wondering what I should look for with Call Ducks

Can you tell me the percentage of weight loss for Call Ducks over incubation period? I am currently hatching Muscovy eggs and was told 2.8% per week. Just wondering what I should look for with Call Ducks

They should lose roughly 14% of their weight over the entire incubation period :) So the same as muscovies, just over a shorter time period.

Back
Top Bottom