Can I use Walgreens "First Aid Antiseptic Spray" on my chicken's wound?

slpmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
On friday, My rooster was attacked by a dog. We took him to the emergency vet, and they gave him Metacam Susp, and Baytril. The antiseptic spray contains Benzalkonium Cl and Lidocaine HCl. Is it safe to use on him? I also have Nu-Stock? Thank You

Last edited:
NO, I definitely wouldn't, because of the lidocaine. It is one of the "caine" drugs, like benzocaine or cetacaine. These drug is toxic to chickens, and there is a fine line between an effective dose and a a lethal one.

Thank you very much. My daughter made this post today with the picture and I had made a post this morning about our roo . What kind of spray would you recommend?

You could use BluKote, commonly used on chickens because the color discourages other chickens from attacking wounds. I assume, though, you will keep that bird isolated indoors for a while. (If you don't, then it will need a product that prevents flies from laying eggs in a wound, available for horses.) BluKote is an "old timey" antiseptic, gentian violet. If he were mine, I would probably use Neosporin ointment, just because I keep it and have liked it for years, because I find that it relieves pain in those irritating cuts and scrapes, and without a pain relieving medication. I've never used Nu-Stock, but I know it is used on chickens by some people who know what they are talking about.

There is a whole host of products out there that would probably work fine. Mostly he needs "nursing care," like a clean place to rest and recuperate, nourishing food with a few extras like a little extra protein and maybe some vitamins, but at least foods that he will eat enough of for healing, and of course, some attention to the wound, to be sure it is healing.

You could use BluKote, commonly used on chickens because the color discourages other chickens from attacking wounds. I assume, though, you will keep that bird isolated indoors for a while. (If you don't, then it will need a product that prevents flies from laying eggs in a wound, available for horses.) BluKote is an "old timey" antiseptic, gentian violet. If he were mine, I would probably use Neosporin ointment, just because I keep it and have liked it for years, because I find that it relieves pain in those irritating cuts and scrapes, and without a pain relieving medication. I've never used Nu-Stock, but I know it is used on chickens by some people who know what they are talking about.

There is a whole host of products out there that would probably work fine. Mostly he needs "nursing care," like a clean place to rest and recuperate, nourishing food with a few extras like a little extra protein and maybe some vitamins, but at least foods that he will eat enough of for healing, and of course, some attention to the wound, to be sure it is healing.
This it too true. I get lots of split fingertips all the time which are very painful. As soon as I put plain Neosporin on a bandaid and put it on them, the pain eases tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom