Can you feed chickens cuttle fish bones?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. I agree with everyone else, cuttle bones are fine for chickens.

I know this is very old but in case anyone else has this question....
I used to buy packs of cuddle bones from the pet store and hung it for my Coturnix quail. They loved it and only the girls ate it. I never saw any Males eat it. I never had any problems with their shells.
I now have bantam chickens and when they start laying come spring I will give them one too.

I live in a place where you can easily find cuttle fish bones on the beaches and I would like to give them to my chickens can I? Ps. Just if it matters they are young silkies
I would be cautious of the ones you find it could carry harmful bacteria. If you can clean and sterilize them they would be great. And as far as age I would say about 3 weeks. That way you don't over load them with calcium. Which could cause problems.

I would be cautious of the ones you find it could carry harmful bacteria. If you can clean and sterilize them they would be great. And as far as age I would say about 3 weeks. That way you don't over load them with calcium. Which could cause problems.
The person you are replying to hasn't been on this site in almost 9 years. They aren't likely to read it.

Back
Top Bottom