Chick is constantly yawning

mustangrooster

Songster
Mar 2, 2016
A little on the crazy side.
I'm not too sure on what to do. Whenever I have had chicks yawning, it’s just been adjusting its crop or something like that. But this is different.

This little chick was hatched 4 days ago in the incubator. Her and her sibling were the only two to hatch out of all the eggs I set (Due to when the cat had once pushed the incubator over the power cord has been very dodgy and with any slight movement around the plug the incubators power turns off, with the cat walking past it all the time I found out that the incubators power went off for long periods of time) Just to give you a bit of info, they were hatched from recently laying pullet eggs--- so they were small. Long story short I had mistaken them for Pekin Bantam frizzle eggs.

The chick in question is actually reasonably smaller than her sister, and from day one since she has hatched she has yawned, yawned and yawned some more. Even without food in her crop, she does big yawns. There seems to be something a little off about her, she does have trouble pooping and she has had a pasty butt which I am treating (My home hatched chicks have never had pasty butt……)

Right now, she and her sibling are snuggled under the warmth of my hand (after making a mess on my desk) and she is still doing the yawning. When they are in the brooder with other chicks she seems to sometimes be a bit slower.

Is this chick just ‘unlucky’ or what?

Thanks

If you say the chick is quite small it could mean it is a runt. The exact same happened to me I had a small chick that was moving slower, yawning and a pasty butt but I didn't give it any medicated or any additional supplements. I just made sure it was eating and drinking fine (which it was) and slowly it started to move a bit faster and stopped yawning. and it started pooping fine. its now 7 weeks old is perfectly healthy (apart from it being a bit small) hopefully your chick will have the same happy ending just make sure it is eating and drinking fine and should be fine.:highfive:

img_20170914_190757-jpg.1136987

(This is the chick now)

I think you are probably stacking the odds against yourself and the chicks at the moment and maybe need to look at improving the chances for your next hatch by setting eggs from more mature hens and getting the power cable to the incubator sorted. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but you are clearly aware of these issues, since you have mentioned them.
It sounds like the chick in question may have a congenital defect and sadly, probably won't make it. Hope I'm wrong.

If you say the chick is quite small it could mean it is a runt. The exact same happened to me I had a small chick that was moving slower, yawning and a pasty butt but I didn't give it any medicated or any additional supplements. I just made sure it was eating and drinking fine (which it was) and slowly it started to move a bit faster and stopped yawning. and it started pooping fine. its now 7 weeks old is perfectly healthy (apart from it being a bit small) hopefully your chick will have the same happy ending just make sure it is eating and drinking fine and should be fine.:highfive:

img_20170914_190757-jpg.1136987

(This is the chick now)

Ah alright, thank you. I feel like I can stop fretting a little.

I was thinking it was a runt but then again it could just be because it's from a small egg (I'm going to stick with runt though...) Thankfully, the lil chick eats and drinks fine, and she does sometimes have random energy bursts.

I think you are probably stacking the odds against yourself and the chicks at the moment and maybe need to look at improving the chances for your next hatch by setting eggs from more mature hens and getting the power cable to the incubator sorted. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but you are clearly aware of these issues, since you have mentioned them.
It sounds like the chick in question may have a congenital defect and sadly, probably won't make it. Hope I'm wrong.

As I said, it was an accident setting pullet eggs. I don't usually set pullet eggs, but the eggs were in the frizzle pen. Looks like a pullet layed in the wrong place, so I thought I was setting frizzle eggs (as they were the same size and same colour tone) As for the incubator cable, there's not really anything I can do about it. I have screwed the base back in if that makes sense. I forgot to mention but another reason the power went off in the 'bator for long-ish times was that when I turned it off to check all the eggs, or 'cool them down' for a little bit, I have been so busy that I can forget to turn it back on.

Could be gasping for air? Trying to get the lungs to work correctly?

Hm, didn't really think of that. The chick seems to be breathing alright, though.

I have no idea what is wrong with the little guy, but next time, always pick the most average sized eggs, not whatever you see when you walk in the coop.

There is only one suggestion that I can add: put these chicks on Poultry Nutri-Drench. This is my go-to when ever I have chicks. I always use it for the first 2 weeks, first every day for a few days, then every other day, then every 3 days. All chicks get it, including the ones that have shipping stress to overcome, and the ones that hatch in my incubator and spend the next 24 hours playing soccer with the later hatchers.

Either this chick has some plumbing malformation, or other internal issues, or she will eventually settle and catch up with her siblings.

Sorry you had the incubator issue. These things do happen, and you are aware, so will take every step to fix it before next hatch. If the plug is still sketchy, you can buy a replacement plug at the hardware store.

I agree with the others this chick likely has underdeveloped organs. But it sounds as if it has a strong will to live and a decent appetite.

If it has "plumbing" that is not developed enough, it may be experiencing crop clogging and mild constipation. The "yawning" often is a symptom of crop discomfort. It won't hurt this chick in any way to be a bit proactive and administer some coconut oil which would help lubricate both its crop function and bowel function.

If you use coconut oil in its solid form, you can break off tiny bits of the oil and by prying open the tiny beak, slip the small bits of solid oil onto the tongue whereby the chick will swallow. Try to get a full half teaspoon into the chick.

The advantage of using coconut oil in its solid state is that, not only is it easier to get into the chick without most of it going onto the chick's down and your shirt, but there is little or no danger of the chick aspirating the oil.

But do as LG suggests. Get it on Nutri-drench. The formula is for poultry in distress and will give this chick the nutrient boost it needs hopefully to launch itself into a normal life.

I have no idea what is wrong with the little guy, but next time, always pick the most average sized eggs, not whatever you see when you walk in the coop.

Pekin Bantam Frizzle eggs are always tiny.

There is only one suggestion that I can add: put these chicks on Poultry Nutri-Drench. This is my go-to when ever I have chicks. I always use it for the first 2 weeks, first every day for a few days, then every other day, then every 3 days. All chicks get it, including the ones that have shipping stress to overcome, and the ones that hatch in my incubator and spend the next 24 hours playing soccer with the later hatchers.

Either this chick has some plumbing malformation, or other internal issues, or she will eventually settle and catch up with her siblings.

Sorry you had the incubator issue. These things do happen, and you are aware, so will take every step to fix it before next hatch. If the plug is still sketchy, you can buy a replacement plug at the hardware store.

I agree with the others this chick likely has underdeveloped organs. But it sounds as if it has a strong will to live and a decent appetite.

If it has "plumbing" that is not developed enough, it may be experiencing crop clogging and mild constipation. The "yawning" often is a symptom of crop discomfort. It won't hurt this chick in any way to be a bit proactive and administer some coconut oil which would help lubricate both its crop function and bowel function.

If you use coconut oil in its solid form, you can break off tiny bits of the oil and by prying open the tiny beak, slip the small bits of solid oil onto the tongue whereby the chick will swallow. Try to get a full half teaspoon into the chick.

The advantage of using coconut oil in its solid state is that, not only is it easier to get into the chick without most of it going onto the chick's down and your shirt, but there is little or no danger of the chick aspirating the oil.

But do as LG suggests. Get it on Nutri-drench. The formula is for poultry in distress and will give this chick the nutrient boost it needs hopefully to launch itself into a normal life.

Thank you, both for all this great information.

I'm definitely going to try everything that you both have suggested. I'm keeping my eye on the little chick, and since she is in with 2 other 3 week old chicks (who were rejected by their mom as day-old chicks) she follows what they do, and when they drink water she drinks water, same for when they eat, so that's good. Ditto for her sibling.

I'm going to try and find some Nutri-drench. As for coconut oil, I never thought of that, and I have a whole jar of coconut oil on hand right now, so I will try that too. I am hoping there are no internal issues, but I really don't know.

Back
Top Bottom