Chicken is lethargic and appears to be blind

rgvchick

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
Mercedes, TX
Hi, I am fairly new at raising chickens. I have a young hen (Speckled Sussex; approximately 22 weeks) who has become lethargic and appears to be blind. She is able to get around (gets on her nesting box, walks around a bit and can get up on the roosting pole) so I'm really not sure if she is blind. She closes her eyes a lot and from what I can see her eyes appear normal. She sits/stands for long periods of time with her tail down...and is usually "asleep". I've separated her from the rest of the flock and gave her apple cider vinegar and electrolytes. When I first gave her food, she ate all of it, but today it appears she has not eaten much. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Hi, I am fairly new at raising chickens. I have a young hen (Speckled Sussex; approximately 22 weeks) who has become lethargic and appears to be blind. She is able to get around (gets on her nesting box, walks around a bit and can get up on the roosting pole) so I'm really not sure if she is blind. She closes her eyes a lot and from what I can see her eyes appear normal. She sits/stands for long periods of time with her tail down...and is usually "asleep". I've separated her from the rest of the flock and gave her apple cider vinegar and electrolytes. When I first gave her food, she ate all of it, but today it appears she has not eaten much. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Welcome To BYC.

Can you post a photo?

Has she started laying egg?
How does her crop feel-is it emptying at night?
Any swelling around the abdomen?

Keep her separated and offer some poultry vitamins to her water.

Thanks for responding, Wyorp.. She has not started laying eggs yet. I'm not sure what her crop is supposed to feel like, but I have not seen her eat since I first separated her day before yesterday.. The few droppings she has dispensed look normal. Her abdomen seems normal. I am giving her electrolytes, but I will give her more vitamins.

I posted pics. I'm not sure if you can see, but today I noticed what looks like a blood spot on her left eye.Any other advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Is it possible she was pecked in the eye?

How long has she been with you - is she fairly new to your property?
It's hard to tell, but is the face swollen? Any mucous?

If she is new to you then it's possible she may have coccidiosis. Some symptoms are lethargy (weakness), fluffed up appearance, poop with mucous or blood, not eating and loss of balance.
You can treat cocci with Corid which is found at the feed store in the cattle section. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.

Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After you finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Here's some information on what a crop looks like and how to check it:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html

No, she is not new to me; and she doesn't have mucous. She is not new to the property, but I did change the flock over to a new coop. It is,however, in the same immediate area as the previous coop. I just checked on her and she was more active, so I let her out for a little while. She was able to get around on her own, so I'm pretty sure she can see--at least with one eye. I'll continue to monitor her closely and give her vitamins. Thank you so much for your advice.

I know it's been a while but I've got somewhat of a similar situation. How is she doing? Did you figure out what was wrong? TIA

Back
Top Bottom