Chickens who don't roost

Popsy

Songster
13 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Raymond, CA
I have a fairly new flock of Buckeyes. When I first got them, I put them in the same coop as my old hens. The old girls didn't let them up on the roost at night so they started sleeping on the floor under the nest boxes. Now I have moved them to their own coop, and they all (4 hens, 1 rooster) still sleep on the floor, right in front of the door. Even though we built them a very nice roost and nest boxes. In fact they are even laying their eggs on the floor instead of the boxes. Is this just because of how they were forced to sleep on the floor at first, or is this just common for this breed?

I have a fairly new flock of Buckeyes. When I first got them, I put them in the same coop as my old hens. The old girls didn't let them up on the roost at night so they started sleeping on the floor under the nest boxes. Now I have moved them to their own coop, and they all (4 hens, 1 rooster) still sleep on the floor, right in front of the door. Even though we built them a very nice roost and nest boxes. In fact they are even laying their eggs on the floor instead of the boxes. Is this just because of how they were forced to sleep on the floor at first, or is this just common for this breed?
Maybe. How long have they been in new coop?
Are they on the roosts during the day at all?

Pics from inside of new coop would help spot any trouble areas.

Sleeping on the floor in front of the door is often because of low light inside at dusk,
are there windows for light in the new coop?

They have been in the new coop about 2 weeks. Yes, there is plenty of light - the entire front of the coop is open with wire and the back has a large window. It's actually an old barn that we retrofitted as a coop. I've never seen any of them up on the roost. One of the hens has started laying in the nest boxes, which are a little higher than the roost. I'll try to get some photos to post.

They have been in the new coop about 2 weeks. Yes, there is plenty of light - the entire front of the coop is open with wire and the back has a large window. It's actually an old barn that we retrofitted as a coop. I've never seen any of them up on the roost. One of the hens has started laying in the nest boxes, which are a little higher than the roost. I'll try to get some photos to post.
Hmmm...usually it's best to have roosts higher than nests....or they'll want to roost in nests and poop them up overnight.
They way I've gotten bird used to a new roost is to physically pick them up and put them on it, if there' curiosity doesn't overcome their initial fear.

Back
Top Bottom