Cochin Bantam - Genetic questions

joaomribeiro

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2021
Hello all!

I have a few questions about Cochin bantam and will put here by topic.
But let me tell first all the colours I have:
- White
- Black
- Black Mottled
- Blue Mottled
- Buff Mottled
- Gold Partridge
- Silver Partridge

1. I have 2 white males at the moment. With which other mutation can I cross them? And what will I get?

2. I have also Black Mottled, Blue Mottled and Buff Mottled. What can I cross here? And what will I get?

Looking forward to learn with you! 🙏🏼

Assuming you don’t want mixed colors, you can cross blue mottled and black mottled together. Blue mottled x blue mottled will create some black mottled anyway, so you might as well combine their group.

If cochins are recessive white, which I believe they are, then that means they could have any variety under the white, and you won’t know which unless you test breed them. So you could cross the whites with another color, but just be aware that the offspring would most likely be mixed colors and would carry recessive white.

You could cross black to blue mottled to get solid blues (and more blacks). But, they would carry recessive mottling, so you’d have to be aware of that and potentially have to breed it out so it doesn’t pop up unexpectedly later.

first of all many thanks for your answers.

What means a recessive white? Apologies for probably a stupid question.

If I cross for instance any mottled (black, blue or buff) with white, what will I have?

first of all many thanks for your answers.

What means a recessive white? Apologies for probably a stupid question.

If I cross for instance any mottled (black, blue or buff) with white, what will I have?
Recessive white is a gene which covers a chicken’s pattern with white. So, if you have a black cochin with two recessive white genes, the cochin would be white instead of black. However, if you crossed this cochin to a black cochin without recessive white, the offspring would be black. This is because this type of white is recessive, which means it only shows up if the chicken has two copies of the gene.

That cross depends on what’s underneath the white of your cochin. Though solid white (either dominant or recessive) is a different gene than mottling, so it won’t result in more mottling, if that’s what you’re wondering.

In that way and as I don’t know what kind of gene my chickens have, only way to see if I can take offspring white is to cross my white males with buff Mottled to see if I can take some white females right?

Because if I think Black Mottled doesn’t have the white gene recessive but black instead?

In that way and as I don’t know what kind of gene my chickens have, only way to see if I can take offspring white is to cross my white males with buff Mottled to see if I can take some white females right?

Because if I think Black Mottled doesn’t have the white gene recessive but black instead?
Your mottled cochins may have one recessive white gene (which wouldn’t show up at all) but they most likely do not. Recessive white doesn’t cause mottling, it is only able to cause a fully white chicken (two copies of the gene) or have no affect at all (one copy of the gene).

If you want more whites, you could cross a white to a non-white and then cross the resulting offspring (which wouldn’t be white) back to a white.

Back
Top Bottom