Comb Turning Purple

Marigold2019

Hatching
Apr 27, 2020
Noticing 6 month old roo's comb is frequently turning purple. He's a buff orpington otherwise very healthy. We've raised him from a chick. Noticed a couple weeks ago that his comb is turning purple every evening and occasionally during the day. The purple portion of the comb is cold to the touch. It's not frost bite. I keep reading about heart conditions. Any thoughts?? Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200615_203423.jpg
    20200615_203423.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 20200615_203424(0).jpg
    20200615_203424(0).jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 43
Have you ever heard of "mood rings"? They were popular many decades ago during the new age period in America. Roosters with large single combs tend to have combs that change color on the tips and edges when they are stressed or excited or upset, much as those mood rings did. The color always reverts back to the normal red in a short while.

As long as your cockerel is behaving normally, breathing normally, and eating and pooping normally, it's nothing to be concerned about.

is it a circulation problem? is he scratching at his comb? as azygous believes i think that could be a possibility too. just supervise him and if any changes in behavior accur, consult a vet

I just started a new thread for something like this! My friend's buff orp hen (five years old, still laying) does the same thing. She was acting and eating normally, and about 10 minutes later her comb was back to normal. When we saw her later it was a bit purplish again. She shouldn't be stressed out as there have been no changes to her environment, and the other hens haven't been picking on her (they have been together for 5 years)

may be respiratory. Normally a purple comb is an indication of a lack of oxidation, aka a lack of oxygen in the blood. may be serious as a respiratory infection or a bad cold but it may also be minor as something just caught in his throat.

just watch his behavior often, as chickens hide their pain well, so well that by the time that you notice something is wrong, it is often too late to help them.

I just had a 10 year old girl get over a bad respiratory infection, ended up having to get antibiotics from their vet.

I also recommend rubbing VetRX on their nose, beak, and comb every so often. It improves respiratory health of a chicken, and may help them fight colds or minor infections. I got my bottle at Tractor Supply Co. I'm sure they sell it at other similar places.

Attachments

• VetRX.jpg
    VetRX.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 40
  • VetRX2.jpg
    VetRX2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom