Coop check...how many MORE roos will I have?

lowflyer

Chirping
Mar 9, 2015
So far it looks like 4, maybe 5 of 6 bantams are cockerels. Only one, a little black one with white lacing (Penciling?) is definitely a pullet...she looks like one, with a very small comb, and she's been the "sexy girl of the day"...poor thing. The Polish Crested bantam we named Gandalf, and he's definitely a male. The solid white bantam and the gold laced cochin are also crowing, so those are boys too.

The only ones that have not crowed (or been OBVIOUSLY after the girls) are two of the black and white mottled Cochin bantams. I've tried to show those two, especially. But as I recall, the black and white very mottled one, with a prominent comb and wattles, was very slow to feather out. (S)he has not crowed, and always "talks" to me in a funny, crooning murmur, unlike any other. Just curious as to whether all but that little black one with the little comb, are all cockerels. That means 5 of 6 were boys. I am beginning to think TSC is getting way more cockerels than "straight run" ought to be.

The four Golden Comets at the beginning are obviously pullets, and are close to laying age. They were supposed to have been hatched towards the beginning of March, the rest were from the first week of March through April.

Of the four big fat Buff Orpingtons, two are definitely roosters, but now I am wondering if all four are boys. So much for being sold as "pullets".

There are five Black Australorps, four pullets and one obvious rooster.

I believe the two Barred Rocks are pullets.

There are three brownish ones, I believe are pullets, from Meyer Hatchery. Don't know what they are, perhaps EE's? One has a funny beard and kind of ear muffs and a thick feathered neck, maybe some Americauna blood somewhere?

It's hot in there, but they have a fan running constantly blowing over a big tub of water (they like standing up on this roost which is in front of it) as well as smaller tubs of water outside in the pen they can flutter in, and two drinking containers.

What do you think, do I have a coop overflowing with roos? None are aggressive towards people, but there are some squabbles amongst them from time to time. The big Buffs like to grab the bantams by their combs and fling them around, other than that they don't put up with much from the big ones.

0.jpg

Sorry I couldn't tell, too many birds jockeying for space and bread. It would be better if you just posted photos of the questionable males . Good front view showing comb development & side view standing so we can check for other gender features.

By the heat on your wall thermometer it was close to 100degrees in the coop, the birds are too uncomfortable to stop panting and stay put. That could also be causing the buffs to abuse your bantams. Please separate them so the banties have a chance to grow up and live.

At 0:19 the BO is a cockerel

0:23 I see a Australorp cockerel and Polish cockerel

0:30 another BO cockerel

0:31 is another cockerel in the corner, one of your bantams

Silver laced polish is a cockerel

0:34 the white and black bantam looks cockerel, as does the pure white one

Looks like all your BO's are cockerels, the BR's are pullets, I saw 2 EE pullets, a gold laced wyandotte pullet, silver laced bantam cochin pullet, 3 x bantams are cockerels, one silver laced polish cockerel.

Yep, five of the six bantams are cockerels. The black and white one was busily attending to Dolley this morning, until Gandalf knocked him off and finished business, much to her disgust.

So one of the standard size pullets is a Golden Laced Wyandotte? There are two other with brown/game bird type feathering, I presume they are EE's then.

The thermometer actually reads higher than it should, we've checked it against more accurate instruments. It was still hot in there, so I put an additional fan in the ceiling rafters, swept out the coop and washed down the concrete floor to cool it off for them. They also have a large vat of water in front of the fan, it blows across it to cool the air as well. They hop up on the roost to beg for treats, but when it is so hot they like the lower roosts closer to the floor where it is cooler. Outside they have shade, cool corners for dust baths and smaller pans of water to perch on or flutter around on. And if it's really hot, I turn on a kid's sprinkler/mister for them outside, though they're not too sure about that yet.

So far:

Cockerels:
1 Black Australorp
2-4 Buff Orpingtons
4 Cochin bantams
1 Polish Crested bantam

Pullets:
5 Black Australorps
0-2 Buff Orpingtons
2 Easter Eggers
1 Golden Laced Wyandotte
4 Golden Comets
2 Barred Rocks
1 Cochin bantam

At 0:19 the BO is a cockerel

0:23 I see a Australorp cockerel and Polish cockerel

0:30 another BO cockerel

0:31 is another cockerel in the corner, one of your bantams

Silver laced polish is a cockerel

0:34 the white and black bantam looks cockerel, as does the pure white one

Looks like all your BO's are cockerels, the BR's are pullets, I saw 2 EE pullets, a gold laced wyandotte pullet, silver laced bantam cochin pullet, 3 x bantams are cockerels, one silver laced polish cockerel.
x2

Back
Top Bottom