Could my "she" be a "he"? Help!

mrsbos

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Greenacres, WA
I have three 17 week old EEs that I bought as day old chicks. Two of them look very similar, but I've just recently noticed that "Chickie's" comb is much larger than "Fluffy's". There has been no crowing or egg laying from any of them yet, but they seem to be more aggressive with each other lately. I don't know if it's just puberty, or irritability from their inability to free-range for a couple of weeks due to deep snow, but they've really been in each other's faces alot these days...fluffing their neck feathers and "posturing". Chickie, the one with the more pronounced comb, was the smallest of the chicks and has always been the most affectionate. All three are about the same size now. Could Chickie be a roo? I can attach full body pics if that might give more clues to sex. I included a pic of Fluffy for comb comparison.

65269_dscf2725.jpg

Above pic is Fluffy

65269_dscf2726.jpg

This is Chickie

65269_dscf2730.jpg

Another pic of Chickie

Alright....for those who vote that Chickie is a rooster: Is it inevitable that I'm going to hear a loud neighborhood waking crow sooner than later? I thought that if Chickie were a rooster, I would have already heard some crowing, or at least attempts to crow (though maybe he's late because he's never heard any other bird crow). At just over 4 months old, all three chickens seem to make the same non-crowing bawk-bawk baaaaaaaaaaaawk sounds (with the occasional bark). Because of county zoning, my 3 backyard pets are technically not "legal", so as much as my family and I would be thrilled to hear the sweet sound of crowing, it would probably blow the cover on my birds. My immediate neighbors wouldn't mind, but there is a busy common area behind my house where people walking their dogs would be able to hear and might not like what they heard!

Even if the consensus is that Chickie is a rooster, I guess I'll keep "him" until it becomes obvious with any crowing. Our 3 kids would be so sad to have to say good-bye (or eat) one of our beloved birds....but then we'd have to get more baby chicks b/c a person can't just have 2 hens!

Their combs look like my EEs did. some of mine have a larger comb and lay eggs. Now an EE takes a little longer to lay an egg, I believe mine were closer to the 5 month mark.

I think they are both hens and are developing at different rates.

Pretty birds BTW

Both are hens. Second is either laying or about to. No pointy hackles, sickles, or wing coverlets- tail is hennish. The enlarged, bright comb indicates that she is about to lay. I see nothing masculline whatsoever about her.

I think they are both girls, too. They are both "hen" colors, and neither one has saddle or hackle feathers. I vote for 2 girls.

Back
Top Bottom