Culling Ducks: Hands Off Method

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Disclaimer: There are several other methods to cull ducks and ducklings. If the other methods work for you feel free to use them. However, if you have the daunting task of having to cull a bird and can't emotionally handle the other method this may work for you.

Supplies Needed:

Critter Keeper:

010838200121B.jpg

5 Dollars at most pet stores and Walmart.

Storage Bin:

advantages-plastic-bins.png

5 Dollars at most retail stores. I do NOT advise the clear ones. It can make the experience much harder emotionally for some people.

Dry Ice:

dryice_slabs.jpg

Call around for pricing. It's around 10 dollars for 10 pounds around here. You shouldn't need more than 3 pounds if your only culling one bird. In most areas you must be 18 to purchase it.

Step 1: Open your storage bin. Many people advise putting newspaper down for easier clean up.

Step 2: Fill your Critter Keeper full of the Dry Ice.

Step 3: Set your Critter Keeper inside the bin to one side.

Step 4: Say your final goodbyes to your bird.
hugs.gif

Step 5: Place your bird to the opposite side of the Critter Keeper.

Step 6: Lightly set your lid on the bin. You do NOT want it to air tight. That can cause the lid to explode off.

Step 7: Come back in a few minutes. The amount required will vary by the individual.

Step 8: Your bird is now over the rainbow bridge. Now you can say your final words and bury your bird.

Culling a bird is not something that should be taken lightly. Also, if your can pull up the strength I would consider the other options of culling as well. The Co2 should put your bird into a sleep that it never wakes up from. This method is often used for culling smaller animals such as mice.

Thanks Zooweemama. It's defiantly my least favorite part of raising birds but unfortunately it comes with the territory. Luckily set ups like these are easy to keep on hand. The hardest part is keeping dry ice stored which I've never had much luck with.

I think if you can have everything else on hand and be able to have a second person dash to the store- many gas stations and most grocery stores carry dry ice. It's a good emergency plan!

Two days ago, my ds and I attended a course to learn humane methods of killing birds (and rabbits). Dry ice isn't something which is readily available around my neck of the woods.

I can see how this method would be more appealling to those who want a "hands off" method, but it isn't the swiftest of options
idunno.gif

I can see how this method would be more appealling to those who want a "hands off" method, but it isn't the swiftest of options
idunno.gif
It's defiantly not one of the swiftest methods which I implied in my first post. If someone is willing to do a swift method that's wonderful and everything will be over quickly. However, too many people can not handle the quicker methods. Which leads many cases to let "Nature take it's course". I personally find Co2 methods to be much more humane than stalling a bird in agony.

It's defiantly not one of the swiftest methods which I implied in my first post. If someone is willing to do a swift method that's wonderful and everything will be over quickly. However, too many people can not handle the quicker methods. Which leads many cases to let "Nature take it's course". I personally find Co2 methods to be much more humane than stalling a bird in agony.
Totally understand the context of your post Kevin and I do agree, the method you have outlined is a compromise between the swift and the lengthy.

I do hope those who shy away from the swift decide to utilise your method as an alternative to the lengthy.

Actually, my real hope is, those who wish to keep animals do so armed with the full knowledge of the basics of how to care for them and the realisation that it is a "responsibility", not just a bit of a hobby. Even if they do not wish to have the less pleasant side of the job, at least know someone who can do it or be prepared for the vet bill. Idealistic, I know
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom