Cut unabsorbed yolk sac?

hfrey

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2015
I have read the thread on here about hatching chicks EMERGENCIES. I have had this happen to me before but I had a baby chick (malposition) hatch early. It is very energetic and awake but the only problem is , ITS YOLK SAC DID NOT FILLY ABSORB. I have the baby in a mug, tied it's legs together(it kept kicking and didn't want it to disturb the sac) I've read post about it absorbing but I've also read post to where you can just cut it off? I want to know some people opinions before I risk it... Please help.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Wow! Poor little thing. Good luck with her/him. :hugs

Please untie his legs, he may not be able to walk if he stays like this. Give him a nice, warm place to recover from hatch - where other chicks will not peck or pull at it. DO NOT CUT THE YOLK SAC, he might bleed out. Chicks generally sleep a lot after hatching - so it would allow him to absorb the rest of the yolk sac.

It can't be cut until the cord has dried out and is no longer working. Are you sure it's un absorbed yolk not just unattached cord to little bit of final yolk? My last one was attached to the shell still, popped it in a container so it couldn't run round and after a few hours it dried out and I could snip it. You can't snip while it's still working though.

I would untie the legs ASAP. If a short amount of time on a slippery surface can cause spradle legs in a chick who knows what damage tying them together is doing?

I'm just scared if I untie his legs he will kick the yolk and make it start draining. Then I will have a dead baby... I have him in a mug now... I'm pretty sure it yolk.

I untied his legs and as soon as I did his foot scratched the yolk and now it's draining like green stuff.. Is that bad?

Back
Top Bottom