Do chicks ever stop cheeping???

Amyh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
North Carolina
We just got two baby silkies and they haven't stopped cheeping since we got them... they cheep all night long... all day long... when we hold them and when we leave them alone.

Is there anything wrong with my chicks? How long does this noise phase last?

kinda sorta
smile.png
i have four months old and once and awhile they still kinda peep
wee.gif

ya.gif

I wouldnt worry about it. As long as they are healthly and acting like chickens...
hugs.gif

If they are cheeping all night, they may be too hot or too cold. Content chicks rarely cheep constantly. Do you have them under a lamp or what? If your house is air conditioned, they could be too cold, especially if they are near a register.

Chick's will naturaly peep some.But if it's usualy Excessive they are not comfortable with temp.I just moved my 2 brooder's to basement and graduated the older feathered one's to a standard light bulb and both boxe's seem very comfortable and quite.The newbie one's have heatlamp and they have just been sleeping and napping and eating very well.The older one's I took out yesterday are feathering and they were staying on other end of box away from heat so they were ready to go to lower temp's.Hope you can find what make's them comfortable and quite.

I agree with speckledhen, they may be uncomfortable. My chicks would softly peep while awake and doing their thing but were quiet at night for the most part. Loud, continual cheeping usually means they have an issue. It's also possbible that since there's only two of them they are missing the larger group. I brought two chicks home last year and they seemed a little lost in the brooder until I got four more the next day and the brooder wasn't quite so empty.

Mine seem to chirp a lot when they are excited. If they are getting treats, they chirp non-stop! They also do it a lot when we pick them up because they are still getting used to us (it has only been a couple weeks). Other than that, they are pretty quiet. I would definitely take the other posters advice about checking the temperature for them. It seems like something is wrong for them to chirp like that all night.

Back
Top Bottom