Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
They were stealing your flowers?? For shame :hmm
Yes. Not just any flowers either. They took every single one of my black iris blooms. I came home to find every bloom stock cut, on a diagonal at least, but still cut. There were a lot of them too.

This year I am lifting and dividing those iris. The here is about 80 in that spot. They get to right and they stop blooming. I know they say lift them in the fall but I have better luck with spring lifting.

Here one bed that I use the green fencing around to keep the chickens out. My husband says it's ugly. I stay it's functional.
View attachment 2014716

It is not ugly at all. From a distance that fence disappears. From close up it is barely visible.

Yes. Not just any flowers either. They took every single one of my black iris blooms. I came home to find every bloom stock cut, on a diagonal at least, but still cut. There were a lot of them too.

This year I am lifting and dividing those iris. The here is about 80 in that spot. They get to right and they stop blooming. I know they say lift them in the fall but I have better luck with spring lifting.

It is not ugly at all. From a distance that fence disappears. From close up it is barely visible.
Sheesh, the nerve of some. I've seen pictures of those black iris, but never in person. They sure are pretty. I've got purple ones that are in dire need of division. Do you do it before the leaves start to come out? I haven't done it before. I assume our climates are similar.

Sheesh, the nerve of some. I've seen pictures of those black iris, but never in person. They sure are pretty. I've got purple ones that are in dire need of division. Do you do it before the leaves start to come out? I haven't done it before. I assume our climates are similar.

I lift as soon as the ground is soft so I don't break them. That is often after leaves are up. If the leaves are long I cut them back to 4-6 inches so the replanted ones don't blow/fall over. I usually still get a good blooming. It is also a great time to mix some good compost in the new area or same space if planting back.

When the sun hits the blooms there is a lot of dark burgundy. For whatever reason they have lightened a lot the last couple years.

A few of my favorites.

IMG_20190607_142659.jpg IMG_20190612_083450.jpg IMG_20190612_083424.jpg IMG_20190612_083431.jpg IMG_20190612_083445.jpg

I lift as soon as the ground is soft so I don't break them. That is often after leaves are up. If the leaves are long I cut them back to 4-6 inches so the replanted ones don't blow/fall over. I usually still get a good blooming. It is also a great time to mix some good compost in the new area or same space if planting back.

When the sun hits the blooms there is a lot of dark burgundy. For whatever reason they have lightened a lot the last couple years.

A few of my favorites.

View attachment 2014859View attachment 2014860View attachment 2014861View attachment 2014862View attachment 2014863
Awesome, thank you. I will give it a try. Those ones are so beautiful! :love It's amazing how many colors they come in. I love that pink and purple one.

A few of my favorites.

View attachment 2014859View attachment 2014860View attachment 2014861View attachment 2014862View attachment 2014863
Gorgeous iris. I got rid of a bunch I had because the grass grew into them. I miss them and I'm trying to find a spot to add some back in. I absolutely love the flowers.

Gorgeous iris. I got rid of a bunch I had because the grass grew into them. I miss them and I'm trying to find a spot to add some back in. I absolutely love the flowers.

THAT is one reason mine are getting lifted. That is a good chance to pick all of the grass or weeds out of them and their bed. I hate that runner grass almost as much as bind weed.

If I get enough strong fat rhizomes I will try to trade with the owner of the local garden center again. Maybe for a fat fluffy shrub.
Last time I got over 600 bulbs in exchange for 25 iris.

Last edited:
THAT is one reason mine are getting lifted. That is a good chance to pick all of the grass or weeds out of them and their bed. I hate that runner grass almost as much as bind weed.

If I get enough sting fat rhizomes I will try to trade with the owner of the local garden center again. Maybe for a fat fluffy shrub.
Last time I got over 600 bulbs in exchange for 25 iris.
Wow, that's a great trade. I'm definitely making some place for some again. You are a bad influence. 😁

Back
Top Bottom