Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
Any particular thing that catches your eye?
They sell mostly trees and shrubs. I want a few more larch, which is like a pine but the needles are soft and they turn yellow in the fall before the tree loses them.

I also see redbud trees, and some sweet crab apples. A few years back a bird planted a bunch of crab apples. We them transplanted them around the place. I would love some more.

Here's one blooming behind my lilacs last year, they are so pretty when blooming, and than they are good for the wild birds.

Last edited:
They sell mostly trees and shrubs. I want a few more larch, which is like a pine but the needles are soft and they turn yellow in the fall before the tree loses them.

I also see redbud trees, and some sweet crab apples. A few years back a bird planted a bunch of crab apples. We them transplanted them around the place. I would love some more.

Here's one blooming behind my lilacs last year, they are so pretty when blooming, and than they are good for the wild birds.

View attachment 2016612

I must say that is a very pretty crabapple tree. 🤗

I love the look of redbuds too.
My grandma had some sort of big shrub that produced red berries the birds really liked. Maybe a serviceberry.....:confused:
I remember thinking it was really pretty.

My neighbor has an Autumn Blaze Maple in his front yard. It is very pretty, especially in fall.

I looked more into the fernbush I posted. Not many places to buy one and then it is a tiny baby one. I searched more images and found it can look very sad indeed. I will keep looking.
If you find any nice mid sized, dense shrubs in that catalog that you like please post what you find.

I must say that is a very pretty crabapple tree. 🤗

I love the look of redbuds too.
My grandma had some sort of big shrub that produced red berries the birds really liked. Maybe a serviceberry.....:confused:
I remember thinking it was really pretty.

My neighbor has an Autumn Blaze Maple in his front yard. It is very pretty, especially in fall.

I looked more into the fernbush I posted. Not many places to buy one and then it is a tiny baby one. I searched more images and found it can look very sad indeed. I will keep looking.
If you find any nice mid sized, dense shrubs in that catalog that you like please post what you find.
What's mid-sized to you? They have a few shrubs, not as many as they used to. We like that we can buy tree seedlings in bulk at a reasonable price. They are smaller, but they establish faster. Here's their website.

https://www.musserforests.com

ohhh boy.
some people hoard baskets.
some pillows.
I hoard heirloom tomato seeds.
if I had to pick one favorite out of them all- Paul Robeson. I should preface that I am a diehard fan of a solid red tomato. Pinks and oranges, yellows- they all taste good, but a real old fashioned, acidic, not too sweet tomato is my favorite. Now this thing- I believed the hype was false. people touted it like it healed blind men or something. I rolled my eyes and ordered a few seeds anyway.
they were worth the hype. 1000 percent. get them. even if you aren't sure you'll like them because if you don't, someone will.

I ordered seed from Victory Seed co. I adore that company. they are small, focus on direct conservation with their profits and they offer a lot of varieties other companies won't.
I'm still experimenting with other varieties. this is my 3rd and final year with Redorta Marzanos. if they don't wow me I am over them. (they are a touted Italian heirloom for sauce making, but so far the plants have been skimpy and sad and prone to rust.)
I still want to try Annia Russian's and maybe a few others. I have done Landis Valley Brandywine, Abe Lincoln, German Pink, Kellogg's Breakfast, Summer Cider, German Gold, and a few others I forget.. none of them really popped at me but I am a sucker for outstanding flavor above anything else.

Have you heard of the Ivan Tomato? I just read about this heirloom tomato recently. It's supposed to have a fantastic taste and was developed here in Missouri to withstand our unpredictable springs and summers. Our weather can absolutely destroy a lot of the hybrids out there and make the avid tomato lover shed tears of frustration, forcing us to head to the grocery store or nearest farm stand for a tomato fix.

I'm not planning to do a big garden or even a small garden this year but I do think I'm going to get some Ivan Tomato seeds and plant them along with a few squash and pumpkin plants for the chooks and us to enjoy.

With snow on the ground and cold weather here I'm dreaming of planting flowers this spring, mainly zinnias and plants that will draw in hummingbirds.

Have you heard of the Ivan Tomato? I just read about this heirloom tomato recently. It's supposed to have a fantastic taste and was developed here in Missouri to withstand our unpredictable springs and summers. Our weather can absolutely destroy a lot of the hybrids out there and make the avid tomato lover shed tears of frustration, forcing us to head to the grocery store or nearest farm stand for a tomato fix.

I'm not planning to do a big garden or even a small garden this year but I do think I'm going to get some Ivan Tomato seeds and plant them along with a few squash and pumpkin plants for the chooks and us to enjoy.

With snow on the ground and cold weather here I'm dreaming of planting flowers this spring, mainly zinnias and plants that will draw in hummingbirds.
I look forward to hearing how you like it.

I grow mostly zinnia for annuals. They are gorgeous flowers.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get those seeds bought and started this year.

I would love to have a white Dogwood. It's the state tree here and they grow wild on the roadside.

I also had a friend send me Trumpet Vine seeds that I need to get started so I can plant them near our deck where we hang our hummer feeders. I have a difficult time doing a regular garden due to back knee and neck problems but I figure that if I plant small flower beds in containers and perennials I should be able to do the maintenance on them. The squash and pumpkins can just vine and do their thing without much tending needed and tomatoes are good if you give them a weed free area around them and support. Last year I grew grape tomatoes by my coop. The chickens loved them. They would reach through the chain link run and help themselves to leaves and fruit. May plant those there again this year for them, also.

@oldhenlikesdogs, my DH was raised in WI, where you have two seasons, Winter and July.

What's mid-sized to you? They have a few shrubs, not as many as they used to. We like that we can buy tree seedlings in bulk at a reasonable price. They are smaller, but they establish faster. Here's their website.

https://www.musserforests.com

I would say mid size to me is 4 to 6 feet tall and wide.

Thank you for the link. I see they have drought resistant options.
I will peruse the site more in the morning. I am pretty beat tonight.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get those seeds bought and started this year.

I would love to have a white Dogwood. It's the state tree here and they grow wild on the roadside.

I also had a friend send me Trumpet Vine seeds that I need to get started so I can plant them near our deck where we hang our hummer feeders. I have a difficult time doing a regular garden due to back knee and neck problems but I figure that if I plant small flower beds in containers and perennials I should be able to do the maintenance on them. The squash and pumpkins can just vine and do their thing without much tending needed and tomatoes are good if you give them a weed free area around them and support. Last year I grew grape tomatoes by my coop. The chickens loved them. They would reach through the chain link run and help themselves to leaves and fruit. May plant those there again this year for them, also.

@oldhenlikesdogs, my DH was raised in WI, where you have two seasons, Winter and July.
I've had both knees and shoulders replaced. I now garden in raised garden boxes and various containers. It is much easier, and I can enjoy gardening again.

Back
Top Bottom