Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
This morning I find myself reading up on seed starting.
Stratify? Not sure I quite get that 100%. :hmm

I bought penstemon seeds. It says on the web that the seeds need at least a 2 month stratification. Good golly I don't have 2 months!
I will put some in the fridge following what I read and try some without doing that then compare results.
It might all be for naught as my soil is heavy clay. I read they need well draining sandy soil without a lot of fertilization.
:confused: All I can do is try right?

What other seeds need this cold treatment????

Maybe I can dig out some of the clay where I want to grow them and mix up some of their preferred soil type......
Generally store bought seeds don't need to go in the fridge. Those you collect and want to use would need it. I used to just put them in my fridge for a few months. It's to simulate the winter which some seeds need to germinate. So if you bought these seeds than you should be able to just plant them. Perennials can take a while to germinate.

Good to know I don't have to do a bunch of freeze these, fridge for tnose, plant only during a full moon while fireflies are active, call in a voodoo priestess stuff.
:gig

I will make my goal to set perennial seeds next weekend. That gives me a chance to finish my no no kitty plant cage.

I found mini zinnia seeds at the store today. :celebrate That made me happy! I need easy to grow shorter plants.

Still no fever few but short white merigolds....gonna give those a try too.

Finally finished my no no kitty cage around my seed station.

IMG_20200304_095248.jpg IMG_20200304_095300.jpg IMG_20200304_095316.jpg

Hardware cloth all around. Now I better get some seeds planted.
I had 2 lights I need new bulbs for so just 2 shelves until I get a couple bulbs.

Finally finished my no no kitty cage around my seed station.

View attachment 2041728View attachment 2041730View attachment 2041731

Hardware cloth all around. Now I better get some seeds planted.
I had 2 lights I need new bulbs for so just 2 shelves until I get a couple bulbs.
Wow, that's impressive. :eek: You are so good at building stuff. I would have taped up some chicken wire or something similar. :lol:

That's just amazing. :) You could also keep the cat in there if necessary. I also see some parakeets in your future. That would make a nice bird cage.

Wow, that's impressive. :eek: You are so good at building stuff. I would have taped up some chicken wire or something similar. :lol:

That's just amazing. :) You could also keep the cat in there if necessary. I also see some parakeets in your future. That would make a nice bird cage.

Thanks!

Maybe little finch........I like finch......

Back
Top Bottom