Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
I have also had both hips replaced. It’s definitely harder to get off the ground than it used to be. No raised boxes yet - spent too much building the greenhouse, but we’ll get there eventually. Beds in greenhouse are about knee high. I think they can be built up over time.
I'm trying to keep my hips. :) It's a toss up if I will be successful or not.

It does look like it would be easy to raise you beds if you needed to. I'm jealous of your greenhouse. You did a great job.

It does look like it would be easy to raise you beds if you needed to. I'm jealous of your greenhouse. You did a great job.
Thank you! It has kept DH busy for a while anyway. He needed something to do before starting spring fieldwork. (Still hasn’t started that, but is now starting to get machinery ready.)

I can’t wait to actually plant things out there. I don’t know how early I can put tender plants out there. It’s about 15* warmer in there during the day, but don’t know how to keep it warm at night. A wood stove is not an option, and no electric out there.

I read your previous post wrong - I saw knees and my brain said hips. I hope you can keep your hips! Although, from what I have read, those are the “easiest” of joint replacements. With knees replaced, raised beds are a necessity.

Eh, I'll probably only do one shishito this year so a started plant will be fine at this point.

Can't get spinach to sprout either. *shakes fist* That's what I get for switching varieties.
Yeah true. Kinda dumb to buy a whole pack of seeds for one plant especially since they’re probably similar price 😂

I just really like peppers lol I have like 5 different types planted and each has an entire row so like 30 seedlings. Actually like 60 cause 2 seeds in each pod 😂🙈 I went overboard 😂🙈

And duuuuuuddeeeeeeeee!!! I can never get spinach to grow either!!! It either doesn’t sprout at all or it does but then it diss very early on!!! Or the cat eats it. Sucks cause I LOVE spinach!!! Hoping I have better luck this year LOL

I can never get spinach to grow either!!! It either doesn’t sprout at all or it does but then it diss very early on!!! Or the cat eats it. Sucks cause I LOVE spinach!!! Hoping I have better luck this year LOL

Last year I sprouted spinach from seed without issue in summer (it's supposed to like cold weather, go figure) and since I ate it quick bolting wasn't a huge issue. But for spring, I got just 1 - and it grew massive, like 2' tall lol. Weirdest spinach plant I've ever seen but even the giant leaves were tender so I was able to harvest off that plant for several weeks.

Thank you! It has kept DH busy for a while anyway. He needed something to do before starting spring fieldwork. (Still hasn’t started that, but is now starting to get machinery ready.)

I can’t wait to actually plant things out there. I don’t know how early I can put tender plants out there. It’s about 15* warmer in there during the day, but don’t know how to keep it warm at night. A wood stove is not an option, and no electric out there.
I've read filling plastic barrels with water can help keep things warmer at night. The sun heats the water, and the barrels than give off heat at night. I've only read it personally, so I don't know if it will work well enough or not.

Back
Top Bottom