Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
Yeah this weather stinks. I got all my raised boxes planted with cold crops, and I put my tomatoes out in their Kozy Kotes. They are hanging in there, but will look better after a bit of warmer weather. One more below freezing night, maybe two. The 60-70's will feel night this next weekend.

If anyone believes in old wives tales, this last cold snap has been the third witch after the frogs starting croaking, so between that, and the new moon next week which often signals a weather change I think maybe this will be it for frost and freezes in my neck of the woods. Hopefully. :) I don't generally trust our weather until after the first week in June.

We also are plowing up some pasture this year to it in some sweet corn, field corn, pumpkins, and a food plot for wildlife. We will see how that goes.

DH has his field plowed up, but nothing planted. I plowed up another area for black beans and pinto beans. The deer eat them as fast as they sprout, but if we can get the deer to come on the property, hopefully I can put one in the freezer.

We have been successfully drawing the deer onto our property and off the neighbors. They didn't see a single deer last season. We have plenty. :) A few go in the freezer here too.

The deer unfortunately bring deer ticks and those tick diseases. All my dogs need antibiotics yearly because of them. First it was lymes, so I got them all vaccinated, now they get anaplasmosis, and other stuff. It's pretty bad right here where we are at.

Deer also eat all our apples off the trees too. I'm putting in 2 more trees in a different area to try to thwart them.

Will try to remember to take and post pictures tomorrow.
April 24:

61671F05-EAAB-4929-ACBA-CCC3225BECC6.jpeg
E7DB48A9-2965-422C-B069-F3FAA55994EB.jpeg
430B1788-30F8-4DD0-8D1E-FB15301BE667.jpeg
3FCD8577-258A-4FB7-BB04-144791EABB17.jpeg

Let's see if we can revive this thread.
what are you planning for next spring ?
I planted some garlic this fall, first attempt at it.
After I harvest it in the early summer, I am going to try to plant that bed with asparagus. Then I will prepare a new bed for the fall planting of garlic. then the next spring I will plant that bed with asparagus.. and so on and on it goes.
At my age, that is really long range planning. :old

Back
Top Bottom