Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
a couple more days of "warm" weather and then we go into the deep freeze..
the bbq venison ribs turned out great.
fall off the bone tender..
I took Sunday off. Watched way too much football.
this week I have to get busy and clean up some wine bottles. bottling day is creeping up on me ..
......jiminwaUSAu......

We are discussing adding a few cows to our hobby farm next year. Probably get some calves to raise. I'm looking for pets, husband is eyeballing his own beef. Either way I guess we both are looking forward to returning to our farmer roots. We also could always use more manure makers for fertilizer for the gardens, especially now that we are doing a small plot of sweet corn each year. :)

I hope you can find what you are looking for.
A friend of ours said that Jerseys are good for
beef.. And they can be good pets. Could you
eat a pet ? We raised a few pets. They were
delicious.. The kids even named them.. But they all knew that some day it would be on the table..
.......jiminwisc.........

The good thing is I am a vegetarian. I was made to eat my pet cows, and pigs as a kid. For me, sometimes the line can be blurred between pet and livestock, so sometimes my husband eats my pets. Dogs and cats are off the menu though. :lol: I have a healthy understanding of the circle of life, and that my husband is gonna eat meat no matter, so it may at least come from animals that are raised humanely, or from things he hunts himself.

How are you doing @jvls1942 ? This cold snap is a shock to my system. My critters are holding up well, except for my dogs, they want nothing to do with outside. I know it's not real cold for Wisconsin, but it sure is a sudden change of 30-40 degrees colder. We just got a dusting of snow here. So any drifting is just laughable.

I lucked out, my labs were yesterday, I have no reason to go outside. just barely enough snow to call it white. but it will suffice .
I don't even have to out to get the empty wine bottles. Annie found 33 empties in the fruit room. I have been taking a bucket a day upstairs and washing them..
today I bottled 2 1/2 gallons of tweaked wine.
I gave one gallon away to the daughter of the guy who lives with us.. I think I will put the majority of the new wine in gallon jugs.
I bought special plastic caps for the one gallon jugs. they are re-usable . have plastic cones that seal the jug nice and tight.
........jiminwaUSAu.....

Sounds like a nice way to spend Christmas eve. I remember that one year with surgeries I didn't go outside for most of the winter, and I can't say I missed it. I definitely forget how painful cold can be until you get a reminder.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom