Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Lisa, you got your mechanicing down pat.
if it sticks, use WD 40 ,, if it is loose, use
duct tape..
I don't put much stock in other people's medical opinions. each person is different.
Annie and I did not get sick, for instance. So who do you believe ?
It is easy to draw the wrong conclusion.
sorry about the mass grave . , Barb..

hi , this morning I tasted the kraut. it has been three weeks a brewing.
It tasted good. the raw cabbage taste is no more.
can't do the ribs and kraut just yet.
we have left over beef roast, and left over chicken soup. that will get us to Thursday.
Thanksgiving.. I figure the soonest I can do the ribs would be next weekend.
No word from the hunters, yet.
grand nephew, age 12 got an 8 pointer..
different group of hunters than my old one.

hi , this morning I tasted the kraut. it has been three weeks a brewing.
It tasted good. the raw cabbage taste is no more.
can't do the ribs and kraut just yet.
we have left over beef roast, and left over chicken soup. that will get us to Thursday.
Thanksgiving.. I figure the soonest I can do the ribs would be next weekend.
No word from the hunters, yet.
grand nephew, age 12 got an 8 pointer..
different group of hunters than my old one.
Man those ribs sound so good! I love making and eating kraut, I put it on green salad, sandwiches and sometimes I just grab a forkful out of the jar! :gig I have to admit I’m stingy with it though with cooking. I’ll buy a jar to cook with pork so my fresh stuff lasts longer! :oops:

Sequel, I have a couple of one gallon jars.
I plan on having one working while I am using the other.
Instead of using the kraut cutter and risking cutting myself again, I am going to use the shredder attachment for the food processor.
I should have to do a batch about once a month
If I get too much kraut made, I will hot bath the excess.
I hardly ever eat store kraut. too salty for me.

I'm starting to think I should try making kraut at some point in my life.
it's never too late to try.
I'm 81 and this was my first time.
If you have a food processor, and if you have the shredder attachment, that is the way to go. saves you from cutting your fingers,,like I cut mine on the cabbage cutter.

Sequel, I have a couple of one gallon jars.
I plan on having one working while I am using the other.
Instead of using the kraut cutter and risking cutting myself again, I am going to use the shredder attachment for the food processor.
I should have to do a batch about once a month
If I get too much kraut made, I will hot bath the excess.
I hardly ever eat store kraut. too salty for me.
:highfive: I just broke my gallon fermenting jar! :hit I have a couple others but this one had a plastic lid that fit and that my DH had fixed up with an airlock. I have a half gallon mason jar that I can use I suppose but that’s what I use to store the kraut in the fridge.
I'm starting to think I should try making kraut at some point in my life.
Oh yes if you like it! It’s fun and very easy! You can add other veggies to it too! Look on you tube for inspiration! I put a small red cabbage in this batch so the color looks funny. Not quite pink but it tastes great!
IMG_4437.jpeg

I started the ribs and kraut at about 9AM
it really smells good in here right now.
I was concerned about how hard the steam was spewing out of the relief port.
I let it go for about an hour, then shut it down. went online for some additional information. not much there pertaining to my model of insta pot.
did pick up one bit of information that vaguely fit. I tried it and so far the heat has settled down. I have the timer set for a half hour. if it shuts itself off, then I will know that I did something correctly.
there is plenty of time if I have to transfer the contents into my cast iron kettle , if it comes to that..

I started the ribs and kraut at about 9AM
it really smells good in here right now.
I was concerned about how hard the steam was spewing out of the relief port.
I let it go for about an hour, then shut it down. went online for some additional information. not much there pertaining to my model of insta pot.
did pick up one bit of information that vaguely fit. I tried it and so far the heat has settled down. I have the timer set for a half hour. if it shuts itself off, then I will know that I did something correctly.
there is plenty of time if I have to transfer the contents into my cast iron kettle , if it comes to that..
:drool

Back
Top Bottom