Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

I quit raising hay burners because I had to buy all my hay. I didn't have a source close by and it was a pain to track down a seller.
I could load 4my truck.
often I would have to travel 30 miles or more, one way.
yesterday I made pineapple glaze for the ham. will serve it on the side for people who might not like it.
today I will make a small batch of dressing and a small batch of sweet potatoes. Annie doesn't want any left overs that she would have to freeze..
I just found out that people are not arriving until after 3:eek:o. good, that will give me plenty of time to get ready..
Your dinner sounds amazing! :drool

Lisa, I love the way you think, as in, "two more kids won't hurt anything." That's the same kind of reasoning I use when I get more chickens. :D

But, like Jim, I don't raise my own hay. My hay guy is great. Until late last year when he upped the price by a dollar a bale, he was still charging me a mere $4 each -- the same price he'd charged since Day 1. In fact, I'd been telling him for two years that he wasn't charging me enough.

It's not so much the cost as the physical labor. I can get 12 bales into the back of the F-150. If he's home, he helps me load, but there's no one here to help me unload. Although the girls haven't figured it out yet, before old Bandit died last year, he would just walk over the icy drifts and let himself out of the pen. That meant I had to shovel a trench all along the fence line.

The other downside to having sheep and goats is how much I worry about predation by coyotes. My poultry is locked up at night; the ruminants have shelters but there's no way to lock them in safely.

On the other hand, there are few things in the world cuter than goat kids. And, although Tessa makes me crazy with her endless complaining, when the last of my original goats passed away, it was So Stinking Quiet that I couldn't stand the tranquility, I guess.

Jim, I'm impressed with your culinary skills. The longer I live by myself -- when I could be whipping up all those dishes that my Jim turned up his nose at -- the less I want to take time to cook. I made a "vat" of a pasta dish yesterday that I intend to eat for at least two more days, maybe more than once a day!

I still can't walk all the way to the end of the ramp. The more-than-3-foot-high drift that turned to ice is still blocking half of the length of it. But, there are great rivers of mud all over the yard. Warm weather is a mix blessing. On the plus side, the last of the reluctant Cochin hens finally popped out of her coop and onto the nice, dry plastic boot trays I'd laid down for her feathery feet. No, I don't think my birds are spoiled. :rolleyes:

I am up now, too.
went on craigslist looking for a freezer.
one of the chest freezers died.
there is still lots of ice in it, but some of the stuff on top was soft.
as luck would have it, the temperature outside is going to be rising above freezing for the next few days.. poor timing.
we have been trying to empty at least one freezer. this one is about half full/empty..

Growing a little greens keeps me happy on these cloudy winter days.
20240130_075008.jpg

Barb, husband said no more goats. Someone has to be reasonable I guess. Probably will just get another dogs at some point instead to drown my sorrows.

I have geese and turkeys ordered for the year. I had chickens ordered but cancelled that one. Don't need anymore turkeys. Not sure why I want more. Mine drive me bananas.

3 AM I just listened to two episodes of
Leave it to Beaver. Who writes that stuff ?
the freezer is empty. crammed whatever we could into the other freezer and refrigerator freezers. tossed some very outdated items out..
so as long as things are going wrong, why not spring a tiny leak in the 55 year old copper pipe ?
contacted bro in law. he will bring an expansion tool for PEX. might as well run a whole new line. if it goes well, I might replace the hot water line as long as I am at it.
we shut the pump off for the night.

Back
Top Bottom