Duckling Brooder Setup Pictures Wanted!

Isaac 0

Enabler
7 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Not so much right now, but in springtime, I feel like we are always posting pictures of our setups/waterer's/feeders to new members, explaining what a "good/healthy setup" should look like. So, I thought it may be a good idea for everyone to post their own duckling brooder set up here, and we'll have a nice picture-filled thread of brooders for new members to look at, and get a few ideas, and maybe get to see a few ducklings too. :D

A quick overcap of what a healthy duckling brooder setup should look like,

* Plenty of space for each duckling. Overcrowing can contribute to bullying, overheating, and overaccumulation of feces which may or may not lead to respiratory problems, hygiene-related problems such as wet feathers, sticky eyes, bumblefoot, etc, and increase the chance of coming down with certain disease's like Coccidiosis. A spacious brooder is a healthy brooder.

* Correct bedding material. Everyone has there own preference but definitely avoid the use of any slippery material like hardwood flooring, newspaper, metal, and paper towels which can sometimes be slippery, the use of these materials may lead to problems like splayed legs. Avoid, very hard material like flooring, concrete, or wire, these can all contribute to leg problems in ducklings. Good material choices would be straw, puppy pee pads, towels, wood shaving, hemp bedding, or hay. Use common sense when cleaning, if it starts to stink clean it, once a day is often not enough for most setup's. There is a reason they are called waterfowl, it's not fun, but cleaning is an essential part of maintaining healthy ducklings.

* One problem we see most often is lack of deep water in the brooder. This can cause sticky eye/s, wet feather, clogged nostrils, and any other problem related to lack of hygiene. I personally prefer to use a chick waterer for the first week, then add a deep waterer source that they can play in or just clean their nostrils/eye's out with. Make sure the water source is easily accessible for them, and they can get out with ease to avoid drowning.

Brooder location, a brooder should always be located in a draft-free, warm, predator-free place. I like to keep my brooder near a window to let natural sunlight in for the ducklings.

Use common sense and make sure to secure whatever heat source you're using is secure, the reasons are self-explanatory what's going to happen with an unsecure heat lamp standing over tons of flammable material. Don't burn your house down. If you think its secure, double it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

" Bad Brooder Setups"

1594043041730.png

"This may look like a good setup at first glance, but note the lack of deep water source for the ducks.

1594043123273.png

This brooder has a decent amount of space for the ducks, but not it lacks sufficient deep water, also pay attention to the overaccumulation of feces on the floor, and the heat lamp that looks like it's about to fall at any moment.

1594043274694.png

The use of newspaper can contribute to splayed legs in ducklings.

1594043315834.png

These ducklings are being kept in a very small space, the waterers are also not good for their size, they're much too shallow, and don't hold enough water so they have to be changed quite often. Looks like it was empty when this photo was taken.

1594043487351.png

This brooder is too small. And the owner is keeping chicks and ducklings together which is really not recommended due to the increased risk of coccidiosis in the chicks because ducks tend to keep a brooder moist which promotes Coccia growth.

1594043882101.png

Prolonged time spent on hard surfaces such as wire can contribute to leg problems, such as arthritis, Bumblefoot, and can also contribute to poor hygiene-related problems like wet feather, sticky eye, or ectoparasites.

Post away!

Last edited:
Here is my setup.

landscape birds 012.JPG

When these ducklings first hatched, the only water source was the little chick waterer, but once they were around five days or so old, and were stronger, I added a deep water source in there for them. The tubs filled with big rocks so they can't drown, and so they could get out with ease. After the picture, I added a few pieces of sod, and some logs for them to play around on.

Extra large dog kennel tie wrapped together
CE0D0C7B-E3A6-4B02-A518-4071A9174C90.jpeg
.this accomadated 4 Runner ducklings. I start out with puppy pads and after a week sometimes 2 I switch to shavings over top. From the first brooder then they move into the guest bathroom. Usually just a few weeks before transitioning outside.

Attachments

• 7FD26F5D-24BF-4459-A313-D8E4921BE647.jpeg
    7FD26F5D-24BF-4459-A313-D8E4921BE647.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 34
IMG_20200331_112828.jpg
This pic is before they arrived. I removed the pine shavings and switched to old towels. As soon as the shavings were reintroduced they had a party putting shavings in the water.:hmm
It is 2'x4'x2' tall. It has a split lid for easy access. I put 6" tall cardboard and a commercial trash bag cut open as a liner. The mesh is 1/4" hardware cloth.
While I kept 7 ducklings in this for 2-3 weeks it was difficult once I had to increase the water depth. It would have been better for 3 ducklings.
I moved them into the big chicken coop into a similar set up but 4x6x2 foot at a young age because they REALLY REALLY needed more space.

The food and water dishes shown are only good for the first week. After that they needed deeper and more open dishes.

If I were to do it again......

The food and water would be inside a tote with a side cut open so they have to go IN a space that has raised walls and can contain the mess, be lifted for cleaning and make brooding much easier.

Last edited:
Extra large dog kennel tie wrapped together View attachment 2229400.this accomadated 4 Runner ducklings. I start out with puppy pads and after a week sometimes 2 I switch to shavings over top. From the first brooder then they move into the guest bathroom. Usually just a few weeks before transitioning outside.

Love it! Do you have an up-close picture of the waterer you use?

View attachment 2229406
This pic is before they arrived. I removed the pine shavings and switched to old towels. As soon as the shavings were reintroduced they had a party putting shavings in the water.:hmm
It is 2'x4'x2' tall. It has a split lid for easy access. I put 6" tall cardboard and a commercial trash bag cut open as a liner. The mesh is 1/4" hardware cloth.
While I kept 7 ducklings in this for 2-3 weeks it was difficult once I had to increase the water depth. It would have been better for 3 ducklings.
I moved them into the big chicken coop into a similar set up but 4x6x2 foot at a young age because they REALLY REALLY needed more space.

The food and water dishes shown are only good for the first week. After that they needed deeper and more open dishes.

If I were to do it again......

The food and water would be inside a tote with a side cut open so you hey have to go IN a space that has raised walls and can contain the mess, be lifted for cleaning and make brooding much easier.

Looks great!

Holderread waterfoul farm recomends wire for the first two weeks and i must say its very clean and they cant eat it. Also metzers points out that deep water is not required for ducks as long as they are not in dusty conditions. I know this is controvetsial information but what im trying to say is there is more then one way to do things and rarely is only one of them correct. Certainly you dont want to burn your barn down with an unsecured clamp light but lets try to me more open minded and less judgemental about peoples duck raising.

Holderread waterfoul farm recomends wire for the first two weeks and i must say its very clean and they cant eat it. Also metzers points out that deep water is not required for ducks as long as they are not in dusty conditions. I know this is controvetsial information but what im trying to say is there is more then one way to do things and rarely is only one of them correct. Certainly you dont want to burn your barn down with an unsecured clamp light but lets try to me more open minded and less judgemental about peoples duck raising.
wire isn’t as comfortable for the ducks

I don't see a single person here being judgemental at all.
I see caring people sharing what has and perhaps equally important what has not worked for them.
:confused:

It is up to each person to gather information from others and apply what has worked....and if it doesn't work find a different path.

Back
Top Bottom