Ducklings eating greens?

barrelracr5456

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
I have heard lots of things
About ducks eating veggtibles and fruits and anything green i just want to make sure it is okay for them to be eating stuff like that and should you make it a normal part of their diet my pekin ducklings are about 1-1 1/2 weeks old and have just been on the feed but would adding veggies help improve their health? And if so what kinds ? :)

Last edited:
I have heard lots of things
About ducks eating veggtibles and fruits and anything green i just want to make sure it is okay for them to be eating stuff like that and should you make it a normal part of their diet my pekin ducklings are about 1-1 1/2 weeks old and have just been on the feed but would adding veggies help improve their health? And if so what kinds ? :)

:welcome start off offering chopped up Romain lettuce, chopped kale and of course thawed room temp smashed peas, the green peas. and always offer a separate

bowl of chick grit when feeding anything other than their starter feed, the grit is the only way they can grind their greens up.
and of course Pics when you get a chance. :)

I've given my ducklings greens since they were probably about 1-2 weeks old. They absolutely LOVE lettuce and go crazy for it. Grit is important, but once you've got that covered you can feed them any sorts of duck-approved vegetables as long as you're also making sure to get them adequate protein and not so many vegetables that it's ruining their daily appetite for their chick/duck feed.

A favorite of my ducks is to throw the lettuce in their pond and let them go after it, it's quite amusing to watch as well!

Great will try the chopped up leauttce ans
Will make sure to set out their feed as well and yes will definetly get pics thanks so much to both of you :)

Lettuce is really popular here with my 3wk olds, there like little vacuum's.. did you see the treat chart? it should be in the sticky's super helpful, i printed a copy a few years ago.

Please help im new and wondering where these "stickys" are that i keep seeing being mentioned...?? Also can someone please help me on what amount i can give my ducklings of greens.....i read somewgere that they can have unlimited greens .....is this true?!?!

:welcome I'd start out feeding a small amount of shredded cut up romaine lettuce, then adding some other things. But tiny tummies need to adjust just like with any baby. Also they will need [Chick]grit if fed anything besides their starter feed. A lot of member also find that frozen peas thawed and smashed are a big hit with ducklings then once older can have them whole. Diving for peas. Chick grit needs to be put into a small bowl and kept close to the feed bowl they will use as they need it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

Back
Top Bottom