Egg hatching

Annaafranqueza

Songster
Jun 30, 2019
So i’ve had two duck eggs under my silkie. Its been over 3 weeks so i went to check today anx noticed that one of the eggs has a small crack in it! Should I isolate my silkie when the eggs hatch in a new area? Will she know to wait for the other egg to hatch before she helps the other one?

So i’ve had two duck eggs under my silkie. Its been over 3 weeks so i went to check today anx noticed that one of the eggs has a small crack in it! Should I isolate my silkie when the eggs hatch in a new area? Will she know to wait for the other egg to hatch before she helps the other one?
Congratulations! Where is she now? With the main flock? I would keep her separate if you have deep water bowls out or feed layer pellets to your main flock, because the ducklings will get into trouble with both of those things. Don't move her until the hatch has finished.

She will most likely wait, yes. Embryos generally coordinate their hatch times somewhat by communicating with very, very quiet clicking sounds. Broody hens often stay on their nest about a day after they hatch before they take them off for food and water. Has she hatched eggs before?

Congratulations! Where is she now? With the main flock? I would keep her separate if you have deep water bowls out or feed layer pellets to your main flock, because the ducklings will get into trouble with both of those things. Don't move her until the hatch has finished.

She will most likely wait, yes. Embryos generally coordinate their hatch times somewhat by communicating with very, very quiet clicking sounds. Broody hens often stay on their nest about a day after they hatch before they take them off for food and water. Has she hatched eggs before?
No she hasn’t. She is only 8 months. She laid her first egg about a month and a half ago and then went broody so I figured I’d try putting my ducks eggs under her since silkies are suppose to be good at hatching other poultry. My inside coop is pretty large and i’ve locked all the other chickens out (they will be locked in the run which has houses with nesting boxes raised up). I put chick food(non medicated) with a small waterer and took away all other food.

No she hasn’t. She is only 8 months. She laid her first egg about a month and a half ago and then went broody so I figured I’d try putting my ducks eggs under her since silkies are suppose to be good at hatching other poultry. My inside coop is pretty large and i’ve locked all the other chickens out (they will be locked in the run which has houses with nesting boxes raised up). I put chick food(non medicated) with a small waterer and took away all other food.
Sounds perfect. Good luck! :fl
Be aware that ducklings need supplemental niacin if they are fed chick starter rather than all-flock; they may otherwise develop leg problems.
http://tiramarhomestead.com/2018/05/what-you-need-to-know-about-ducks-and-niacin/

What kind of ducks are they? Ducks usually take around 28 days to hatch. Congrats! I agree with the above posts 😉

What kind of ducks are they? Ducks usually take around 28 days to hatch. Congrats! I agree with the above posts 😉
My ducks are ancona/blue swedish mixes and they are soo pretty so I decided to hatch some of their eggs!
221DEA40-6778-485D-A064-7E72F07641CE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom