Egg Laying Delima

Blackegg1

Hatching
Apr 24, 2024
This is our first time having our own chickens.
We got 5, 28 week old hens from a local feed store. They were delivered to the feed store from somewhere else, not local.
They're mixed breeds..2 red, I black, 1 kinda of lavender and 1 white and black.
The first day home, we got two eggs. The next day three eggs and since then there has been zero eggs. Tomorrow, May 7 will be three weeks since we got them.
We're feeding them layer granules (16%)
We give them kale and veggies and dried worms and grass. We also give them cracked corn amd black sunflower seeds but they dont seem to eat a lot of these.
They have a fairly large area to roam around in and a nice secure, weatherproof coop with roosts and nest boxes and straw.
They have fresh water and seem to be happy.
Is this a normal phase after they've been shipped around and everything's changed for them?

Attachments

• 20240309_140930.jpg
    20240309_140930.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 20
I'm not too sure... maybe they're just stressed after being shipped? Chickens sometimes stop laying when they're stressed...

I would make sure to get some oyster shell to make sure they have enough calcium to lay eggs. They sell that at most feed stores, and also on Amazon.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You mean well, but all the extras you feed them just lower the amount of protein of their layer pellets which already is quite low in itself.18-20 % would be better and a side dish of crushed oyster shell free choice for extra calcium.

Stop the extras and they will soon start to lay again as they also will have adjusted to their new surroundings by then.

I'm not too sure... maybe they're just stressed after being shipped? Chickens sometimes stop laying when they're stressed...

I would make sure to get some oyster shell to make sure they have enough calcium to lay eggs. They sell that at most feed stores, and also on Amazon.
Thank you. I will pick up some oyster shell on the way home today.

Back
Top Bottom