Egg Washer - anybody use them?

BecKub

Songster
May 11, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
So we’ve recently upped our flock and plan to continue to increase also. We’re getting into the egg selling business and I’d like to sell washed eggs. However, I hate washing them by hand. I’ve found two smaller capacity (a few dozen) egg washers, but the price difference between the two is drastic. They seem to be very similar, except the much more expensive one holds a dozen or two more. But not enough for a $100 jump in price. Both came with a large bucket with a compressor.

I’m just wondering if anybody has/uses one OR if they’ve made their own with much success that doesn’t take forever (I already give my husband a thousand projects each day I’d hate to ask him to make something else...). Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated! I’m hoping to get some feedback on how well they work and if it’s worth the $140 (or $270 for the expensive one).

THANKS!!

I have an egg business in California. I do NOT wash the eggs. If they are poop soiled (which is rare) I take them in the house and I use them. Otherwise I leave them alone. When the hen lays an egg it has a "bloom" on it. It protects the egg from bacteria invasion. If you wash that bloom off you open the egg to contamination. Your nesting boxes should be straw filled and clean and your eggs will be clean. I advise to not wash eggs! My business is called Peppercorn Acres and I have an egg handlers license through the California Department of Food and Agriculture. Good luck with your endeavor! :D

eggs in nest box.jpg
Picture of my eggs in nest box.

Oh I agree I prefer not to wash, but some people out here are weirded out about unwashed eggs I’d have to re-read what Pennsylvania requires to sell at farm stands also.

I have an egg business in California. I do NOT wash the eggs. If they are poop soiled (which is rare) I take them in the house and I use them. Otherwise I leave them alone. When the hen lays an egg it has a "bloom" on it. It protects the egg from bacteria invasion. If you wash that bloom off you open the egg to contamination. Your nesting boxes should be straw filled and clean and your eggs will be clean. I advise to not wash eggs! My business is called Peppercorn Acres and I have an egg handlers license through the California Department of Food and Agriculture. Good luck with your endeavor! :D

View attachment 1811250 Picture of my eggs in nest box.

Back
Top Bottom